Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.23865°N / 107.60852°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11301 ft / 3445 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Taylor is a massive, extinct volcano located about 50 miles west of Albuquerque, New Mexico near the town of Grants. The mountain stands by itself in the vast high desert region of Northwestern New Mexico, so the views from the summit are spectacular. Because the area around Mount Taylor is very sparsely populated, a trip into the Mount Taylor region quickly makes you forget about civilization.

Mount Taylor is located in what is known as the Zuni region of New Mexico, a region rich with culture from the many surrounding pueblo indian tribes. Mount Taylor is regarded by the Navajo as one of four sacred mountains. Once you stand on its summit and take in the incredible views, you will understand why. For miles you can see the scattered remnants of this once giant mountain (said to be about 25,000' before it blew its top millions of years ago--I guess our timing just isn't quite right).

Mount Taylor is not technically challenging. The standard route, the Gooseberry Springs Trail, is a simple, pleasant three or four mile hike to the summit with only about 2,000 feet of elevation gain. In fact, the trail is also known as a fun, challenging single track for mountain bikers. The summit of the mountain is not above treeline, but much of the hike is on open slopes that yield excellent views.

The mountain is popular with backcountry skiers in winter after a good snowfall. Absent any major snowfall, though, one can hike the mountain in winter and only encounter only scattered patches of snow.

Mount Taylor is also the site of the annual Mount Taylor Quadrathlon, a grueling race involving running, biking, skiing, and snowshoeing. For more info, and excellent pictures of the mountain, visit the quad website.

A good trip report on Mt. Taylor, by SP member Scott Surgent, can be seen here.

Getting There


From Albuquerque, travel east on I-40 to Grants, which is about 50 miles away. Once you reach Grants, take NM 547 northeast through Grants and toward Mount Taylor. After about 15 miles or less, the pavement on 547 ends. At this point, turn right on Forest Road 193 (dirt road), which heads southeast. Follow FR 193, which makes a sharp hairpin turn before resuming its southeasterly direction. After four or five miles, you will reach the trail head for the Gooseberry Springs Trail (Trail 77), which is on the left side of the road.

Red Tape


Mount Taylor is located within the Cibola National Forest, so your typical National Forest rules will apply. Check with the Mount Taylor Ranger District for more info.

Like many New Mexico mountains, fire restrictions will likely apply in summer. In fact, the entire Mount Taylor Ranger District is sometimes closed during periods of extreme fire danger. Check with the ranger station for more info.

When To Climb


Mount Taylor can be climbed year round, but the best time is May through October. You might encounter snow in early or late season, so be prepared. In the months of June, July, and August, afternoon thunderstorms are common, and you don't want to be caught on the bare slopes of Mt. Taylor in the middle of one of these. Get an early start and get below tree line before one or two in the afternoon.

Backcountry skiers come to Mount Taylor after good snowfalls. During these times, you will need skis or snowshoes for the hike. If it has been a relatively dry winter, however, you might be able to make a winter ascent in boots only.

For more information on skiing Mount Taylor, or just about any other volcano in the world, visit Dr. Amar Andalkar's excellent ski mountaineering website.

Camping


Camping is allowed in the area, but the peak can easily be climbed in a day. Campsites can be found along FR 193, if memory serves me. You can also pitch a tent somewhere off the trail.

Mountain Conditions


A forecast for Grants, New Mexico, which is located only about 15 miles from Mount Taylor, is available from the National Weather Service.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Apr 14, 2005 2:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think Mount Taylor would have been 17,000 ft. max before it collapsed. It also blew up in the style of Mt. St. Helens and the San Francisco Peaks in Arizona (which is a little wierd because the amphitheaters both open to the east). Just thought you'd like to know.

woodstrider

woodstrider - Oct 14, 2006 2:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Mount Taylor Gooseberry Trail #77

I recently visited Mt. Taylor and found that some of the driving milages off. The length of the drive on NM547 to the turnoff for FR193 is approx 13.1 miles at which point there is a 4-way intersection that can be hard to make out in the dark. After turning right onto FR193 ones drives approx 6 miles to find the neat trailhead. At 5 miles the road was rutted with deep potholes and I gave up looking for a trail head that was reported as being poorly marked and at "4-5" miles and I bushwhacked to the summit. As it turned out, the trail head is very clearly marked (for Gooseberry Spring Tr), with a small parking area that can easily accommodate 6-8 cars, and the trail is easy to follow. I descended via the trail, but I really enjoyed the bushwhack up and saw many interesting "things" that I would not have seen if I had found the trail. Also, Grants is 72 miles west of Alburquergue on I40 according to the highway sign. I am just pointing out these facts- not to be a pain in the ass, but for the sake of clarity for those who download your webpage.

Six2

Six2 - Oct 29, 2007 3:04 am - Hasn't voted

Gooseberry Trail #77

There is an alternate, shorter route to the summit from FS 453 in a saddle on the north side of the mountain. It's a rather rough, narrow, and steep road, but it's an easy hike from the trailhead in the hairpin turn on the north side of the mountain, just before ascending to the La Mosca lookout. I don't know the exact distance but it felt like 1-1.5 miles one way. This is a nice route to use for a CDT hike of New Mexico.

CMStinson - Mar 24, 2022 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

west, not east

A correction for the "Getting There" section... from Albuquerque, one travels WEST on I-40 to reach Grants (and eventually Mount Taylor)... not east as written.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

New Mexico 10k+ PeaksMountains & Rocks