Aonach Eagach

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.68100°N / 5.002°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3172 ft / 967 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Aonach Eagach forms an excellent scrambling ridge approximately 4 km in length on the north side of Glencoe. The ridge runs east to west with the main tops of Meall Dearg (951m) on the eastern side and Sgor nam Fiannaide (967 m) on the west.

While the scrambling is not too technical, the ridge traverse is nevertheless a serious proposition with a good deal of exposure in parts and no safe routes down should the weather change, apart from at either end. In winter conditions the ridge becomes a Scottish grade II/III.

The usual route is from east to west, ascend from Allt-na-reigh on the Glencoe road up to Am Bodach. From Am Bodach follow the ridge, scrambling over the rocky section of The Chancellor then up to Meall Dearg. Then the route crosses the pinnacles (about 1 km of sustained and exposed scrambling) and on to Stob Coire Leith. The ridge then becomes easier for the final pull up to Sgor nam Fiannaidh. The usual descent is south down the path alongside the Clachaigh gully (starts approximately 1 km west of Sgor nam Fiannaidh) however, take care as the path is very steep and very loose.


Getting There


Glencoe can be reached by driving north from Glasgow on the A82 (2-3 hours) or south from Fort William (30 minutes). The Aonach Eagach is on the north side of Glen Coe.

Red Tape


No red tape

When To Climb


The mountain can be climbed year round, however in winter conditions it is a much tougher proposition. In summer it can get pretty busy at weekends - much better to save an ascent for mid-week.

Camping


Two camp sites (NTS and Red Squirrel) and bunkhouse (Leacanturm Farm) accomodation in Glencoe and several others around Fort William.

Mountain Conditions


Beware of changing weather conditions - Scottish weather can be wild at anytime of the year and can change very quickly. Also the midges are evil in summer - use a good insect repellant

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dan Bailey

Dan Bailey - Feb 10, 2004 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The safest descent from the west end of the ridge is not easy to find, particularly in the dark, under deep snow, or in poor visibility. Don't whatever you do consider descending south into Glencoe, at whatever point along the ridge - you won't enjoy it. The path alongside Clachaig Gully is by no means the best way down, though it might be the most direct. It is dangerously loose, it's too close to the gully, and fatalities have occurred. If in doubt keep to the ridge crest for at least 1km west of Sgurr nam Fiannaidh, then bear NW towards the Pap of Glencoe before a path (of sorts) drops off westwards down to Glencoe Village.

SkinnyKin - Feb 12, 2004 10:47 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Go to website: http://www.sais.gov.uk to check Glencoe area.

desainme

desainme - Jan 17, 2006 12:12 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Latitude: 56.681
Longitude: -5.002 (negative number)

IainT - Jun 12, 2023 5:16 am - Hasn't voted

Descent from the ridge

I second Dan Bailey's comment above, the path alongside Clachaig Gully is now even nastier 20 years on.. If you are ok with steep scree there is a quick but very steep and rough descent due south from the cairn on Sgorr nam Fiannaidh but this is now getting pretty eroded and nasty too, so much better to continue west on the main ridge for nearly a mile, then once beyond the cliffs bear left to pick up a newer path which links up with the Pap of Glencoe track to reach the road about a mile from Glencoe village.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.