Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.51110°N / 121.7235°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3817 ft / 1163 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rose Peak is a fairly unknown high peak in a remote part of the San Francisco Bay Area. It has the distinction of being Alameda County's highest publicly accessible peak. Its approaches are long, fairly strenuous trail walks along the Ohlone Wilderness Regional Trail, accessible from both east and west. On much of the higher parts of the trail, there are great views of many bay area features, including bridges over the bay, Mount Hamilton, Mount Diablo, Loma Prieta, Mount Tamalpais, Mount St Helena, and snow-capped High Sierra.

Rose Peak is the highest publicly accessible peak in the massif of Diablo Range south of Mount Diablo and north of Pacheco Pass (see note by Bob Burd about nearby Mt Hamilton in Santa Clara County, 4283 feet, occupied by Lick Observatory). It is surrounded by thousands of acres of hilly, privately owned rangeland and forests, harboring more wildlife than other nearby parks. It is also one of the most accessible backpacking areas near the Bay Area cities. Although the area is well used in spring by backpackers, there is still a lot of solitude.

A nice side trip on the way between Rose Peak and Del Valle trailhead is Murietta Falls. It is a 60 -70 ft. seasonal water fall. The trail to Murietta Falls forms a loop with the main trail, adding 1 mile to the hike and a few hundred feet elevation gain.

Getting There

There are two trailheads:

1. Sunol Regional Wilderness south of Pleasanton. From here it is 10 miles one way to Rose Peak with 3500 feet elevation gain. To get to Sunol Regional Wilderness, take Calaveras Road exit off Interstate 680 near Sunol, proceed south for 6 miles, then follow signs to Sunol Regional Wilderness.

2. Del Valle Regional Park south of Livermore. From here it is 9 miles one way to Rose Peak with 4400 feet elevation gain for the round trip. To get to Del Valle Regional Park, take Vasco Road south from Interstate 580 in Livermore, turn right at the end on Tesla Road, then left on Mines Road. Proceed 8 miles then follow signs to Del Valle Regional Park. Look for the "Ohlone Regional Wilderness Trail" sign for the parking area.

Red Tape

Parking fee charged at entrance gates. A permit costing $2 per person is required to hike the Ohlone Regional Wilderness Trail.

When to Climb

Avoid summers for the oppressive heat. Spring is the best season to see wild flowers, water falls, and more active wildlife.

Camping

Established back country camp sites with potable water are available for reservation along Ohlone Wilderness Trail.

bass1201 wrote: Maggie's half acre is the best campsite if you're going to the peak. It is just to the North of the peak and is halfway between Del Valle and Sunol. There are several sites here with water.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
gordonye

gordonye - Mar 31, 2003 10:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yes, you're right that Rose Peak is the highest attainable point in Alameda County by the public. However, aside from Mt Hamilton which is really not open to the public for hiking, there is nothing else publicly accessible that is higher than Rose Peak in the Altamont Pass-to-Pacheco Pass block. Henry Coe is much lower and so is Mission Peak.

keema

keema - Apr 1, 2003 6:30 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Maggie's Half acre is named after Maggie Rowell who leased a half acre on the peak to the USGS for the installation of seismographic instruments.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 31, 2003 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mt. Rose isn't actually the highpoint of Alameda County. There are at least two other higher points, such as this one dubbed "Discovery Peak" back in 1991 by the person who found this in perusing the topo maps. Since it sits on private ranchland, Mt. Rose can accurately be called the highest attainable highpoint.

Also, there are other accessible peaks between Mt. Diablo and Pacheco Pass in the Diablo Range. Mt. Hamilton, of course, at over 4,000ft is the highpoint of Santa Clara county, and one can drive there. There are also other peaks, some very remote, in Henry Coe State Park. Mt. Sizer at 3216ft is fairly easy to reach from the Main HQ of the park. Mission Peak and Monument Peak also fall in the Diablo Range and are accessible to the public.

Brett A - Mar 31, 2003 9:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Maggie's half acre is the best campsite if you're going to the peak. It is just to the North of the peak and is halfway between Del Valle and Sunol. There are several sites here with water. I stayed at Doe Canyon horse Camp one year and it is a terrible campsite.

gordonye

gordonye - Mar 31, 2003 10:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yes, you're right that Rose Peak is the highest attainable point in Alameda County by the public. However, aside from Mt Hamilton which is really not open to the public for hiking, there is nothing else publicly accessible that is higher than Rose Peak in the Altamont Pass-to-Pacheco Pass block. Henry Coe is much lower and so is Mission Peak.

keema

keema - Apr 1, 2003 6:30 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Maggie's Half acre is named after Maggie Rowell who leased a half acre on the peak to the USGS for the installation of seismographic instruments.

Diggler

Diggler - Apr 23, 2005 1:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Daily parking fees @ Del Valle as of 4.22.'5 are $6- bullshit. For an additional $2, however, they give you a nice regional map.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.