Pizzo Scalino

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.27810°N / 9.97270°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10902 ft / 3323 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Beautiful mountain rising in front of Bernina group, destination of many people.
The usual route leading to the top starts from Campo Moro dam (Lanzada - Valmalenco - Sondrio - Italy).
A marked path takes to Cristina hut ( an accomodation available for a 2 days-trip), close to magnificent Alpe Prabello (m.2100).
From here, a path takes through large meadows to the step slope and the summit of Cornetto (m.2800) near Scalino glacier.
You put your crampons and gain the SE ridge of the mountain, from this point with some easy scrambling you get to the top.
It takes about 4 hr. from Campo Moro (m.2000) to Pizzo Scalino (m.3323).

Getting There


FROM MILAN BY CAR: statal route "Vallassina" number 36 to Lecco and then to Colico (north side Como lake) and then Stelvio statal route to Morbegno, Sondrio. (two). From Sondrio only 15 Km to Chiesa Valmalenco and the 20 Km to Lanzada, Campo Franscia and campo Moro Dam.

FROM MILAN BY TRAIN: take a train in the Milan Central station destination Sondrio and then a bus to Chiesa Valmalenco (in summer to Campo Franscia).


Red Tape


It is possible to arrive by car from to Campo Moro in every season.
No permit is requred.


When To Climb


The best season is between June and October. To lead Scalino peak it's necessary to use the crampons and the ice-axe. Is also recommended to climb on the rope (presence of crevasses on the path). Scalino is a classic ski route in winter and spring.



Camping


In Valmalenco trere is no camping, but you may place your camp everywhere near Campo Moro dam.

Mountain Conditions


Meteo Lombardia
Webcams Banca Popolare di Sondrio

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
desainme

desainme - Feb 8, 2006 8:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Looks to me like Latitude: 46.2781 Longitude: 9.9727

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bernina GroupMountains & Rocks