Sassolungo - Langkofel

Sassolungo - Langkofel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.52790°N / 11.73630°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10436 ft / 3181 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Sassolungo is part of the Sassolungo Group. It stands over Val Gardena in Dolomites. In the group there are 8 major peaks and Sassolungo is the highest one (the other ones are Sassopiatto, Dente, Torre Innerkofler, Cima Dantersass, Punta Grohman, Punta Cinque Dita, Spallone del Sassolungo). The group is still not so much crowded even in August (vacation period in Italy). The only crowded areas of the group are the path that crosses the group connecting two Rifugi (Demetz and Vicenza), the path performs the tour around the group and the vthe two easy ways to summit the Sassopiatto (the via ferrata and the normal way). If you enter within the group the crowd disappears, but the real show begins. So if you are not afraid of being alone in a wild mountain find the way to explore the inner parts of Sassolungo group. In the group, the Sassopiatto peak is the only one that can reached without climbing. Very nice group, great mountain.

There are climbing ways of all levels of difficulty in the group, but for every summit there is always a normal way that does not exceed the IV degree of the UIAA scale or below. These climbings are very much in the "original" environment, so do not expect spits, fix, marked ways or sport climbing. The normal ways usually have some pitons and if you are experienced in moving in "wild areas" it is easy to follow them. Usually these ways are called "alpinistic" ways. Remember these are NOT prepared ways, do NOT go there in "shorts" or with an inadequate equipment: it is a serious mountain where it is easy to get lost. In the route section I will briefly describe the normal way to reach the summit of the Sassolungo itself and a very nice hike that can be done around the whole group. The climb to Sassolungo is clearly suggested to experienced mountaineers/climbers while the hike can be done by almost everybody (a very rewarding family walk).

Sassolungo stands in the so called ladin area. Ladin is a language that derived directly from latin with the influence of rethic languages (german similar). The ladin area is spread in the alps, as an example the Grigioni area of Switzerlad is a ladin area as it is this part of the Dolomites (even if Grigioni is few hundeds kilometers away from Dolomites). The valleys Gardena, Fassa and Badia are part of the ladin area in Dolomites. Local persons from these valleys speak normally ladin among them. The original ladin name of this mountain is in fact Saslong (and here you hear the similarity and the common latin origin of ladin and italian languages).

Getting There

There are many ways to reach the Sassolungo. The most known (and easy) one is from the Passo Sella (parking) about 2200 m.. You can reach the Passo from Val Gardena or from Val di Fassa. As an example coming from the Brennero Expressway exit at Chiusa follow direction towards Val Gardena cross all the Valgardena following the directions towards Passo Sella (From Chiusa the driving time is 60/90 min)

Other possibilities are walking from Alpe di Siusi (Seiser alp) or coming from Santa Cristina in ValGardena through the Monte Pana lift and then walking until you reach the path described in the "hike around the Sassolungo".
Finally you can reach the group from Val di Fassa using the Col Rodella lift that will leave you very close to the Federico Augusto and to the Salei Rifugi.

Red Tape

No permits required, no fees. In case you want to do the climbing to the Sassolungo summit, even if you can walk from Passo Sella to Rif. Demetz I suggest that you take the lift (it will save you about 400 m of walking up. Usually (in summertime) the lift opens at 8:15 am and closes at 5:00 pm. In August you can find both free and paying parking places at the Passo Sella

When To Climb

I recommend to ascent this mountain during the summertime and with good and stable weather. I would not recommend climbing it out of season

Camping

Free camping is disliked in the area. There is a camping site in San Cassiano - Val Badia (about 30 Kms away). You can find places to spend the night in the various rifugi of the area (Rif. Vicenza, various Rifugi and small hotels around Passo Sella). Many hotels in Val Gardena, Val di Fassa (pls look at the links to Val Badia and Val Gardena to find indications about hotels in these valleys).

In the link section I reported the link to the section of Lugo of the Club Alpino Italiano. There you can find several Rifugi pictures and relevant information (such as telephone number, number of places, opening times, etc.). In particular you can find info about these Rifugi that I mentioned in the Sassolungo page Comici, Demetz, Federico Augusto, PassoSella Pertini, Salei, Sassopiatto, Valentini, Vicenza

Always keep in mind that in August is not easy to find place in these valleys

Mountain Conditions


Call Rifugio Passo Sella or Rifugio Demetz, or Rifugio Vicenza.
Look also at the link section that contains the links to the web sites of Val Gardena or Val Badia (there are webcams, details about lodging, detailed wheater forecasts and many useful information)

External Links

  • Site of the Val Badia:contains several information about lodging, guides and the surrounding mountains
  • Site of the ValGardena. Contains useful information about lodging, guides and the mountains in the area
  • Link to the site listing the Rifugi in Italy
    The site is from the section of Lugo of the Club Alpino Italiano. It contains a lot of information about the Rifugi in Italy. It works in Italian, English and German. To look for the Rifugi in the Sassolungo area follow this path: 1. alpi orientali, 2. alpi dolomitiche, 3. Dolomiti Nord Occidentali, zona Nord
  • Ivo Rabanser book on Sassolungo group
    Here you find the link to a page presenting the book by I. Rabanser that describes the Sassolungo group. It is quite new and very useful if you want to explore this group (or at least I have found it very useful)
  • Climb of the North Ridge of Sassolungo
  • German language guidebook
    Description of the newest German language guidebook to the Langkofel / Sella groups.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.