Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99820°N / 71.8741°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2066 ft / 630 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crotched Mountain from near...Crotched Mountain

Crotched Mountain is one the many classic hikes in the Manadanock Region of New Hampshire. Though the summit has only very limited views, the surrounding ledges have breathtaking views off to the south, southwest and west of Mt. Manadanock and North and Pack Manadanock. This mountain is one of the better mountains to do on an evening hike where sunsets raise the views to their peak.

Mount Manadanock from...Summit views of Mount Monadnock

The hike to the summit is a classic to families in the region because it is among the easiest to hike. The trails are generally not very difficult with the exception to the Shannon Trail toward the top of the mountain. The Summit (Greenfield as listed the AMC Guide) and the Bennington are easy class 1 hikes, while the Shannon Trail (which combines with the summit trail throughout most of the hike) only gets near class 2 towards the ledges and the summit. The Shannon Trail though consists of most of the views, including the summit ledge and a clearing toward the beginning called The Knoll.

 

Getting There

VIA CROTCHED MOUNTAIN REHABILITATION AREA (1300'): From the intersection of Route 31 and 136 in Greenfield, NH, Follow the signs to Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center. Make a right of Route 31 at the sign Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center and continue up the road past the pond and up the hill. At roughly a mile and a half it comes upon a gated gravel road on the left with signs warning not to park at the driveway. This is the trailhead to both the Shannon Trail (well marked) and the Summit Trail (not well marked).

Red Tape

No parking fees. However, stay on the trail and do not block the entrance.

 

When To Climb

Crotched Mountain can be climb at any time. However, April is not advisable due to mud season. In winter remember to use snowshoes and keep note about winter conditions. Though the summit is a low elevation, often the conditions are much harsher than lower areas. Also use caution in winter using Shannon's Trail.

 

Camping

Crotched Mountain is on private land. Therefore there is no camping located on Crotched Mountain.

 

Mountain Conditions

Best bet for mountain conditions is to contact the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center at (603) 547-3311.

 

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks