Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.88570°N / 71.8663°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2276 ft / 694 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From Pack Monadnock (8/19/03)North Pack Monadnock from Pack Monadnock



North Pack Monadnock is the most north summit on the Wapack Trail, a twenty two mile trail that travels from Massachusetts to Southern New Hampshire. The Wapack Trail is the first interstate trail ever in the United States.

From North Pack Monadnock...Pack Monadnock from North Pack Monadnock



Though North Pack Monadnock is a great peak to bag while backpacking the Wapack Trail , the mountain can also be done easily as a day hike. A roundtrip hike the northern most trailhead is only three miles over an easy to moderate class 1 trail. The peak features a number of beautiful overlooks along the way to the top and has a great view from the summit. There is one very steep pitch on the trail. On a clear day from the the top of North Pack Monadnock the city of Manchester can be seen.

There is also a side trail to the Wapack called the Cliff Trail . With the trailhead starting at the summit this trail goes down to a smaller in in the col between North Pack and Pack Monadnock. This class 2, 1.2 mile trail has excellent views from the eastern cliffs. It reconnect with the Wapack where to head back over summit and back to the parking area.


Getting There

VIA WAPACK TRAIL NORTHERN MOST TRAILHEAD: From Route 31 in Greenfield head roughly two and a half miles towards Wilton. Make a right on Russell Station road by the Yankee Farmer and head down that road roughly a mile. Mountain Road will be the second right. Continue roughly a mile and a half over the height of land and past the wildlife refuge signs and the trailhead will be on your left with parking on the right,


Red Tape

No fees at the trailhead.

When To Climb

The mountain can be hiked all year. In winter though it is recommend to that crampons and snowshoes be worn. April is not an advisable time of year due to mud season and June is home to black fly season.

Camping

Camping and open fires are prohibitted on the summit of North Pack Monadnock.

Mountain Conditions

Check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information

Contact Friends of the Wapack, P.O. Box 115, West Peterborough, NH 03468.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks