Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.56850°N / 79.1708°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4100 ft / 1250 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

High Knob is the 66 th highest point in the state of Virginia. It is one of two mountains named High Knob located in Virginia. It is located in Rockingham County, Virginia and is directly on the border with Pendleton County, West Virginia. It is located in the George Washington National Forest.

There is a really nice stone look-out tower on the summit. It was locked the day I was there, but I would imagine that you would get some great views from the top.

The peak seems to be relatively easy to access from nearby Route 33 except that there is a gate across the trail with numerous no trespassing signs. There are several houses at this point and apparently there is a large tract of private land which keeps you from accessing the tower. The property is clearly marked around the entire perimeter of the property. The owner seems to be very serious about his domain.

Getting There

From Washington, D.C., take Interstate 66 west to it's connection with Interstate 81 and then follow Interstate 81 south to Harrisonburg, Virginia. Once there, take the second Harrisonburg exit, Route 33 west and follow this thru the City of Harrisonburg. Stay on Route 33 until you are approximately one mile from the border with West Virginia. Stay focused for an umarked left hand turn down a gravel road. This gravel road will lead to a man-made lake (this shows up on the topo zone map). As you progress about half-way up the lakeshore, look for two yellow signs along an old logging road. These signs say "No Motorized Vehicles". Parking is available here.

Start the hike here (at about 2,200'). Follow the old logging road up to about 3,300'. At this point you will intersect with more "no trespassing" signs and two large piles of dirt across the old road. Make a left into the woods and cutback through the woods, following the trees which are marked with red paint. This is the border between the park land and the private land. Follow the painted trees until you come to a property corner monument which is well marked. At this point the boundary heads to the right and straight up the mountain. Continue to follow the painted trees until you reach another property corner monument. Continue to follow the painted trees to the right until you reach a small stream / spring. At this point, leave the painted trees (a left) and, again, head straight up the mountain. You'll have to do a bunch of scrambling up large boulders and thrash your way through the brush. The peak is very apparent as you progress up.

There may be other routes but this is the only way I could find to access the peak. The topo zone map also shows a route from the south. I tried this route starting from Reddish Knob but the trail I tried did not go to High Knob.

Red Tape

Permits are not required.

Parking is free at the lake.

There are no fees associated with access to the lake or the summit.

When To Climb

Year round access is available. It would be much more difficult in the winter with the snow. This is true trail blazing if you use the above described route.

Camping

Camping is not allowed within 100' of the lake. This is a resevoir for the City of Harrisonburg. There are tons of free camp-sites along Route 33 between High Knob and the City of Harrisonburg.

Weather Forecast






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Allegheny MountainsMountains & Rocks