Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.79190°N / 119.3354°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11408 ft / 3477 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fletcher Peak is the prominent, hulky, flat-topped peak located immediately behind the Vogelsang High Sierra Camp in Yosemite NP. As such, it affords good views towards its higher neighbour across Vogelsang Lake, Vogelsang Peak, over the surrounding Tuolumne Pass and Evelyn Lake area, as well as to Parsons, Simmons, and Amelia Earhart Peaks.

The easiest route up the peak is a slog up the sandy class 2 southwest slope from Vogelsang Lake; follow easy slopes up to the broad summit plateau. Several summit blocks are found here, with some short but enjoyable scrambling to be had; the easternmost of these is the highpoint.

More challenging climbing may be found on the northwest face above Fletcher Lake; the literature reports a variety of class 4-5 routes here.

A note for peak baggers/scramblers: If you have time for only one peak in this area, the East Face of Vogelsang is by far the better climb, and with better summit views to boot.

starblazex adds the following concerning technical routes on the peak: There are numerous alpine climbs on Mount Fletcher. I used to work at the high camp and have climbed most of them. The prominent arrow shaped face above camp called the Arrowhead (surprise) by employees has several alpine routes from 5.8 to 5.11, including Modesto Surfer (see High Sierra Climbs Book). Around the left above Fletcher lake is a small wall with several sport routes (beware the old style bolts). There have also been many free solo accents of the Arrowhead by park employees. There used to be a guide (some handmade topos) at the camp that detailed most of the climbs on the peak. Not neccessarily a world class destination, but offering far more interesting climbing than Vogelsang peak. However there are sport climbs to be had on a hidden wall there too.

Getting There

The nearest trailhead is at Tuolumne Meadows, about 9 miles to the north. From the JMT trailhead in Tuolumne Meadows, hike south on the JMT. After several miles, take the Rafferty Creek Trail to Vogelsang HS Camp.

Red Tape

Permits are not required for day hikes, but a wilderness permit is required for overnight visits. This can be obtained from any ranger station in the park. The nearest location is the permit building just east of the Tuolumne Meadows campground. It is just off the road that leads to the Tuolumne Lodge, on the right hand side.

More information may be found at the Tuolumne Meadows Logistics page.

When To Climb

Due to the winter closure of Tioga Road, Fletcher Peak is most commonly--and quite likely, only ever--climbed between May and November. Overnight parking is prohibited along Tioga Road from October 15th onwards, in which case Fletcher Peak may be climbed as an easy dayhike from Tuolumne Meadows. In early season, snow often lingers around Tuolumne Pass; even then, due to its southern exposure, the SW slope can often be snow-free.

Camping

Camping is allowed in all parts of the surrounding wilderness with an appropriate overnight permit. For more information, check out the Tuolumne Meadows Logistics page.

Good campsites are located along Rafferty Creek and in the vicinity of Tuolumne Pass & Vogelsang HS Camp. Closer camping can be found at Vogelsang Lake, but there are few trees and the area is more exposed to the sun.

This is a popular area, verging on overused, and rangers are often encountered--so despite the inconvenience of permits, rogue camping would be a risky proposition here. A day hike is really the more enjoyable option.

Mountain Conditions

Current conditions can be found on the NPS page.

More information may be found at the Tuolumne Meadows Logistics page.

Etymology

"(Fletcher) creek and lake were named in 1895 by Lt. N. F. McClure, for Arthur G. Fletcher, of the State Board of Fish Commissioners, who was instrumental in stocking the streams in Yosemite National Park. (Farquhar: Mclure.) The creek and "Fletcher Lake" were on the first edition of the Mt. Lyell 30' map, 1901. The peak was first named on the ninth edition, 1948. It had formerly been called "Baker Peak," after a cook at the Boothe Lake High Sierra Camp. (BGN, 1932.)"
- Peter Browning, Place Names of the Sierra Nevada

"Lieutenant Benson was especially interested in propagating trout in the lakes and streams of the [Yosemite] Park and to that end cooperated with the State Fish and Game Commisioners, whose names were given to lakes Babcock, Emeric, Fletcher, Murdock, and Vogelsang."
- Francis Farquhar, History of the Sierra Nevada

External Links