Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.23360°N / 117.5966°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8441 ft / 2573 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Bighorn Peak is located in the San Gabriel Mountains of Southern California. It's in the Cucamonga Wilderness. It is an easy climb via the Icehouse Canyon Trail. Many hikers bag this peak on their way to or from Cucamonga or Ontario Peaks. The Icehouse Canyon Trailhead is just beyond Baldy Village where the road splits. You'll make a right turn and the parking is on your left. The trail starts on the far end of the parking area. Once you reach Icehouse Saddle, aprox. 3 1/2 miles and 2,600' elevation gain, climb the broad north ridge (south of Icehouse Saddle) directly to the summit. For a longer hike and those who want to bag several peaks you can take the Cucamonga Peak Trail from Icehouse Saddle to Cucamonga's summit. Then drop back down to the saddle between Cucamonga and Bighorn, climb the south ridge of Bighorn to it's summit and either drop back to the Icehouse Saddle or continue west following the ridgeline, eventually meeting up with the Ontario Peak Trail. Continue west on this trail passing two false summits to the rocky summit of Ontario Peak. It's 2.8 miles back to Icehouse Saddle via the Ontario Peak Trail. It will take an average hiker most of the day and you'll bag 3 summits and hike about 16 miles. All along the way you'll have awesome views of the Inland Empire (if it's clear) and most of the San Gabriel Range including Mt. Baldy and Telegraph Peak.

Getting There


Off of I-10 or the 210 travel up Mountain or Euclid Avenues until you come to Mt Baldy Road. Go right and continue about 9.5 miles just through Baldy Village until you come to the fork in the road for Icehouse Canyon. (stay right) Go a short distance and park in the lot to the left. The trailhead starts off at the end of this road.

Red Tape


A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for your vehicle while parked at any of the trailheads. The pass can be obtained from the ranger station in Baldy Village or in Big Pine (a few miles west of Wrightwood). Many local merchants also sell the pass. The cost is $5.00 a day or $30.00 for an annual pass.

Also a permit is required to enter the Cucamonga Wilderness. At least that's what the sign 1 1/2 miles up the Icehouse Canyon Trail states. A person needs a permit for both day hikes and overnighters. It can be obtained at the Baldy Village Ranger Station.

When To Climb


Bighorn Peak can be climbed year round. In winter, depending on snow pack you may need snowshoes, crampons and ice axe.

Camping


Overight permits are required to camp within the Cucamonga Wilderness and can be obtained from the ranger station in Baldy Village. Kelly Camp is located at 7840 ft on nearby trail to Ontario Peak. Cedar Glen is lower down at 6400 ft on the Chapman trail in Icehouse Canyon. A special permit for all camp stoves is required.

Mountain Conditions


Contact the Mt. Baldy Ranger Station in Baldy Village.
Angeles National Forest (626)574-5209
San Gabriel River Ranger District (626)335-1251
Mt Baldy Visitors Center (909)982-2829
San Bernardino National Forest (909)383-5588





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.