Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.64333°N / 8.42083°E
Additional Information Elevation: 11909 ft / 3630 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Dammastock is the highest mountain in central Switzerland, and hence offers a wonderful view to many mountains within a radius of 100 km. It is located at the end of the Rhone glacier, the source ot the river Rhone that flows into the lake of Geneva and then ends in the Mediterranean near Marseilles. It is near the Galenstock, where you can get some information that are also true for Dammastock. Dammastock is usually easier to climb than Galenstock.

There are two main ascents, a steep one from east (Damma hut) and a flat one from west (Furka road, Belvedere) which is very popular with ski. Both ascents are easy, but alpinistic experience is necessary and theay can be dangerous under bad circumstances.

It is possible to collect additional mountains on the same day: Schneestock (3608 m) and Rhonestock (3596 m). Both mountains are suited with skis. If you are a good climber (V) , I strongly recommend the east ridge of Schneestock from Damma hut in excellent granite! 5 hours.

Link for books and maps:
Literature and Maps

Guide: Clubführer Urner Alpen West
Map: Nr. 1231 Urseren 1:25'000
Map: Nr. 5001 Gotthard 1:50'000

See the Swisstopo Map with many interesting features. Upload is in a seperate window.



Getting To The Top

From Belvedere (normal route with skis)

Starting point is Belvedere, an ancient Seiler hotel on the Furka road, 3 km west of Furka pass, at 2274 m, with free parking possibility.

From Belvedere carry the skis up the hill above the parking place (15 minutes), then go left to the Rhone glacier and put your skis on. Follow the rather flat glacier for ca. 3 km. The first big crevasses welcome you soon. You can avoid them if you cross the glacier and keep to the side below the Gerstenhörner which I find pretty save for downhill as well. At ca. 2800 m the flat part of the Rhone glacier starts for ca. 3 km to a level of 3000 m. Then turn right and head towards the Dammajoch and from there to the top.

If you do not touch the crevasses at the lower part, ropes and ax are usually not needed on skis. In summer, a rope is necessary and crampons should be on your rucksack; you never know.

It is usually an easy walk and most people do it in one day, driving to Belverde and starting there at 5 a.m. But this non acclimatization can cause mountain sickness, so I recommend to start from Tiefenbach 2106 m and not from a city. 4-5 hours.


From Damma hut only in summer.

Snow couloir to the Dammapass (ca. 3525m). Crampons, rope, ax. It is also possible to take the southern (or northern) neighboring ridge. Not popular. E-ridge of Schnneestock is preferred.

For descent use the east rib (III) of Dammastock. Rappel. Safest route to and from Dammastock.


When To Climb

Foot: July - October
Ski: May - July

Accommodation

Damma hut 2445 m, 23 sleeping places
Coordinates: 678.020 / 166.470
Information: ++41 41 885 16 66
Phone at hut (July - September): ++41 41 885 17 81
photo and information in German

Camping site below dam of Goescheneralp

Drive by car or bus from Goeschenen (exit Gotthard autobahn and railroad station) to Goeschener alp. Cross the dam (1797 m) and follow the path to the hut. 2.5 hours.


Hotel Tiefenbach (2109 m) on the Furka pass road, dorms or rooms, good food, simple and clean rooms, reasonably priced. To be reached by car or bus. Phone: ++41 (0)41 887 13 22. Mobile: ++41 (0)79 208 80 55. Open in spring for skiing, long before the Furka pass is open.
email


General Information

For books, maps, webcams, trains, buses, weather, avalanches, rescue see my list Swiss Links in a new window.