American Fork Twin Peaks

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55170°N / 111.6561°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11489 ft / 3502 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

American Fork Twin Peaks is the highest mountain on the Little Cottonwood Canyon ridge. The summit is the prominent peak overlooking the Snowbird ski resort.

A short approach hike combined with a relatively high trailhead elevation make this an excellent peak for intermediate hikers. More advanced hikers can combine this summit with a number of multi-summit ridge scrambles, including the challenging Bullion Divide ridge traverse.

American Fork Twin Peaks is located in the Wasatch National Forest, in Salt Lake County. At an elevation of 11,489 ft. the West Twin ranks as the 11th tallest of Utah's county high points. With 3649 feet of prominence, American Fork Twins comes in at #23 on the list of Utah prominence peaks.

Although the peak is referred to as a 'Twin', there is actually a third unnamed summit (elevation 11,391 ft.) a short distance to the south.

USGS Quads:

  • Dromedary Peak, Utah (1:24k)
  • Salt Lake City, Utah (1:100k)


    Route Stats

    Trail Head Elevations
    • White Pine route: ±7,620 ft.
    • Gad Valley route ±8,030 ft.
    • Northeast Ridge route ±8,030 ft.

    Summit Elevations
    • West Twin: 11,489 ft.
    • East Twin: 11,433 ft.
    • Unnamed (South Twin): 11,391 ft.

    Elevation Gain
    • White Pine route: 5,070 ft.
    • Gad Valley route: 3,459 ft.
    • Northeast Ridge route: 3,459 ft.

    One-Way Hiking Distance
    • White Pine route: ±6.3 miles
    • Gad Valley route: ±4.1 miles
    • Northeast Ridge route: ±3.7 miles


    Getting There

    From the 6200 South exit I-215, head east and south on 190 ±2 miles to the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon. Continue straight on 210 through the light (south) for ±4 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Continue east up the canyon for ±5.5 miles to the White Pine Trailhead for the White Pine Lake approach, or continue an additional ±1.6 miles to the Snowbird lodge (tramway lift location) for the Gad Valley route.


    Red Tape

    Hiking (i.e., snowshoeing) is not permitted on the Snowbird ski resort trails during the ski season.


    When To Climb

    Anytime in spring after closure of Snowbird ski resort, through late fall. Significant snow remains in the area well after closure of the ski resort; early season hikes may require the use of snowshoes.


    Camping

    There is camping at the Tanners Flat Campground, just west of the White Pine trailhead.

    Mountain Conditions

  • Snowbird Cam
  • National Weather Service forecast for the area.
  • Utah Avalanche Center website


    External Links

  • Trails Map - Shows the various trails at the Snowbird and Alta Ski Resort Areas.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz - Sep 12, 2020 1:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Dead link to Snowbird summer trails map

Here's the current link, as of Sept. 12, 2020: https://www.snowbird.com/uploaded/trail_maps_pdf/snowbird_summer_trail_map_20.pdf

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (Central)Mountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch Alpine RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
Utah County HighpointsMountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks