Pack Monadnock Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.86230°N / 71.8791°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2288 ft / 697 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From Pack Monadnock (8/19/03)Views from Pack Monadnock


Pack Monadnock Mountain is a classic summit in Southern New Hampshire famous for it's nature trails, and scenic views. It connect to it northern neighbor North Pack Monadnock and provide great views of Mt. Monadnock . It is also home to an auto road that travels all the way to the summit. It is also the highest summit on the Wapack Trail, the first interstate trail system in the United States.

From Pack Monadnock (8/19/03)Views from Pack Monadnock


Those who are climbing this summit for an isolated, unpopular and completely nature summit will be disappointed by the three cell phone towers the parking lot and the many park benches located all along the summit. Many people come to Miller State Park (a state park designated to showcase Pack Monadnock) via the auto road (toll).

Despite the auto road there are three primary hiking trail to the top of Pack Monadnock. All three trail are very similiar in length (about 1.5-2.0 miles one way) and difficultly (moderate with some steep pitches, class 1 mostly).The first, the Wapack Trail, ascend from the parking lot at the base very steeply at first before leveling out closer to the summit. The second, The Marion Davis Trail, starts out more moderate from the same parking area, before hitting steeper pitches closer to the summit. The Raymond Trail which starts off of Old Mountain Road on the west end of the mountain, starts off easily before rock and steeper pitches closer to the summit.

Getting There

VIA MARION DAVIS AND WAPACK TRAILHEADS (TOLL): From Route 101, travel to the top of the ridge where a gap lies between Temple Mtn. and Pack Monadnock Mountain. From the east you will pass Temple Mtn. Ski Area just before the sign for Miller State Park. The sign for Miller State Park will be on you north hand sign (from Peterborough it will be on you left, and from Milford or points east it will be on your right). Pull into Miller State Park (toll) and pull into the lower parking area.

VIA RAYMOND TRAIL: From Route 101 travel to the Old Mountain Rd. It is located roughly a half mile from Miller State Park facing the northside (Left coming from Peterborough and right from Milford and points east. Take Old Mountain Rd. roughly 1 mile and the Raymond Trailhead will be on your right.

Red Tape

There is a toll for the Marion Davis and Wapack Trailheads as well as a toll for the Auto Road. However there is no toll on the Raymond Path.

When To Climb

Pack Monadnock can be climbed at anytime of the year. I would advise snowshoes and crampons in winter. April and May would not be a good time for hiking due to the mud season and June is black fly season so remember the bug repellent or you will itching to get home.

Camping

No camping is permitted on Pack Monadnock Mountain.

Mountain Conditions

Check out this page for this mountain and all Wapack Trail information

Check out this page for information on Miller State Park

Contact Miller State Park at (603) 924-3672 by phone.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
EastKing

EastKing - Nov 6, 2005 7:56 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Via The Raymond Trail the base height is about 1250 of elevation making for an approximite 1000 ft. ofelevation gain. Via the Marion-Davis or the Wapack Trail is about a base height of 1475 making for an approximite 875 ft. of elevation gain.

modrid - Nov 6, 2005 7:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

what is the height from the trailheads at the base of the mountain to the summit?

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 6, 2005 7:56 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Via The Raymond Trail the base height is about 1250 of elevation making for an approximite 1000 ft. ofelevation gain. Via the Marion-Davis or the Wapack Trail is about a base height of 1475 making for an approximite 875 ft. of elevation gain.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks