Rooster Rock (Columbia Gorge)

Rooster Rock (Columbia Gorge)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.54390°N / 122.25°W
Additional Information Elevation: 120 ft / 37 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Rooster Rock may be one of the most used minor Pinnacles in the Columbia Gorge. It is not a mountain by any means; however, it is a great climb with beautiful views for the beginning Alpine Climber ready to take the next step up from the crags. Views of the Columbia River Gorge with Beacon Rock in the background and colored kite surfers zipping back and forth across the river in the foreground make this climb well worth the effort.

The standard route (South Face) offers easy fifth class on fairly stable rock. As with all alpine rock climbs route finding comes into play even to find the beginning of the route because of the lack of information on the area. A search on the Internet will turn up very little on this formation 30 minutes out of Portland, OR.

Getting There


To get to Rooster Rock you must first get to Rooster Rock State Park located off exit 25 on I-84 just east of Portland, OR. Park as far to the west end of the park as you can. Once parked work toward I-84 following paths to the south. There are a few that lead to the edge of the freeway so pick one based on where you park and head south/southwest until you hit the freeway. If you bear too much west you may find that there is water between you and your destination so bear more south than west. Once alongside the freeway approximately 1/8 mile from where you gained the roadside start looking for a trail that travels north into the woods. Follow this trail to the base of Rooster Rock.


Driving Directions To Park


Red Tape


State Park permit is needed to park in the parking area. Fees required.

Rooster Rock State Park


When To Climb


All year as weather permits

Camping


There is no camping at Rooster Rock. There is camping in the area.

Gorge Camping.

Ainsworth State Park



Mountain Conditions


Weather.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cluck

cluck - Mar 29, 2004 3:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Part closes at 7:00PM (at least on 3/28/04) Ranger left us a note that he had not locked the gate and to please close it behind us.

Word to the wise... leave in time to get out or chance getting trapped behind locked metal gates

fkoran - Aug 12, 2013 1:59 am - Hasn't voted

asdf

double 50m ropes will let you swing to the starting ledge, double 60s will get you down to the trail

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.