Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75550°N / 121.7792°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5958 ft / 1816 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Eagle Peak sits at the western end of the Tatoosh Range within Mt. Rainier National Park. It's the first really big cliffy mountain on the right as you drive in from the Nisqually Entrance. There is a trail that goes most of the way to the top but the final ridge requires a bit of scrambling and off-trail travel. Beckey describes it with "it presents a cliffy facade on the N but is not steep elsewhere." With his usual understatement, the trail is nice up the southwestern side, but at 3200 feet in 3.6 miles, it's a decent little hike.

This one can be combined with it's neighbor to the southeast, Chutla Peak as there is a waytrail that heads over to Chutla a bit below the saddle, part of the Tatoosh Traverse

Eagle (along with all the other Tatoosh Range peaks) provides exceptional views of Rainier and other Tatoosh Range mountains. The hike to the saddle is somewhat popular but if you aren't specifically heading to the summit of Eagle Peak, you may not see the way. Beckey's book was right on (albeit brief) regarding the path to take.

Getting There

From Portland, take I-5 north to Highway 12 (exit 68). Take Highway 12 east to Highway 7 at Morton, WA. Take Highway 7 north to Road 706 in Elbe, WA. Turn right and follow signs to the park entrance. (about 13 miles). Once inside the park, go 7 miles to the Longmire Museum/Wilderness Information Center complex. Turn right in the second entrance and drive through the employee housing area, crossing the one-lane wooden bridge over the Nisqually River. The trail starts on the south side of the road just after the bridge but park about .2 miles further down at the Community Building. (You can also park at the main complex and walk back there.)

From Seattle, you would take I-5 to Highway 7 in Tacoma (or any of the myriad of highways in the metro area that lead there). Follow same directions from the park entrance.

Red Tape

This is a national park so there are fees to enter the park. Click here for details.

When To Climb

July - October usually but the road is plowed through the winter so this might make a nice winter destination

Camping

Click here for camping information within the park.

Mountain Conditions

Click here for the park's links to weather and condition sites.

Also:
Paradise Webcam that is nearby

University of Washington Mt. Rainier weather info











Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.