Mount Lawrence Grassi

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.05348°N / 115.3949°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8809 ft / 2685 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the summit of East...
Lawrence Grassi is now the offical name for this peak. A scramble located just outside Canmore. Its proximity to Canmore makes it a good training hike. The trail head is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Canmore by following the Spray lakes Road. You will see all levels of hikers on the normal route (4-6 hours round trip). This is a very scenic scramble/hike. With outstanding views of the Three Sisters to the south, a smaller summit called Ha Ling (Chinaman’s Peak), Lady Macdonald, the town of Canmore, Grotto Mtn. and the Spray Lakes behind you to the west. Mount Lougheed further to the south. The route for this summit is found in Alan Kane’s Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies which is a worthwhile purchase.

Getting There

Looking out over Ha Ling...
Head out of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes road past the Grassi Lakes to the Goat Creek day use parking. Cross over the road and the canal bridge. Follow the canal to the south-east then you will see a trail that starts through the trees. When you follow this you must bear right and follow an uneven route through the trees towards the tree line. If you jsut follow the trail directly up to the left you will be heading to Ha Ling. Once you are in the open follow the least line of resistance to the summit. Excellent views from the top. Return the same way.

Red Tape

The east face of Lawrence...
No red tape. This is a day trip.

When To Climb

Mount Lawrence Grassi from...
The summer months would be the most popular. June to end of September.

Camping

There are campgrounds in the area if desired
Spray Lakes West Shore Campground has 50 sites (403) 591-7226
There is also the Alpine Club of Canada lodge with rooms and excellent facilities of 19$ CDN a night. The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1

Mountain Conditions

Spray Lake Ranger Station. (403) 678-5533
Alberta Tourist Visitor Centre (403) 678-5277
The Alpine Club of Canada (403) 678-3200, ext 1
weather office or (403) 762-2088 for weather conditions



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.