Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.06500°N / 117.288°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9048 ft / 2758 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

At 9048 feet, Krag Peak is the 27th highest summit in Oregon (give or take depending on how the counting is done). See: 100_Highest_Peaks_Of_Oregon_List for the fascinating list of 100 highest peaks in Oregon). Located in south central reaches of the Eagle Cap wilderness of northeast Oregon's Wallowa Mountains, it is one of many 9000-footers of the range. Viewed from the western slopes of its (larger) neighboring Red Mountain, Krag Peak looks a bit like a bell with steep slopes on all sides. Looks are however deceiving in this case as there is a straighforward (though loose) class 3 route to its top. The most straightforward approach is to hike to Crater Lake via Little Kettle Creek Trail from East Eagle Trailhead (see Getting There for details).

Getting There

From I84 near Baker City, Oregon take exit 302 and follow Oregon highway 86 east toward Richland for 23.2 miles. Just beyond mile post 23 turn left and uphill onto the gravel Sparta Lane (marked). Follow this road for 4.5 miles and then turn left on East Eagle Creek Road for 5.4 miles to a 5-way junction. Turn right (that's the 2nd right on the 5-way junction) onto Empire Gulch Road 7015 and follow it for 4.4 miles across a bridge to a T-junction. Turn left on Road 77 and follow it for 2.6 miles where you'll come to a fork. Take the right at fork onto East Eagle Road 7745 and follow it for 5.5 miles until you arrive at a parking area on the right marked with the Little Kettle Creek Trailhead. The Little Kettle Creek trail departs near the toilet. Follow the trail for a mostly flat half mile then enjoy the overly switchbacked and sometimes overgrown trail for 5.5 more miles to Crater Lake going from 4580 feet at trailhead to 7550 feet at the lake.


Red Tape

There currently is no Northwest Forest Pass requirement at this trailhead but there is a Wilderness Permit to complete and carry for all parties.

Dogs are allowed within the Eagle Cap Wilderness - keeping them leashed is required; packing out their waste is strongly encouraged.

When To Climb

The trailhead for this peak is located at 4580 feet and is accessed via forest roads. Climbing season is limited by road closures due to snow (late June through October is probably a safe bet).

Camping

Camping at large is allowed within the Eagle Cap Wilderness but is prohibited within 200 feet of streams/lakes. As always, please apply the leave-no-trace rules

There are excellent campsites around Crater Lake.

Mountain Conditions

Wallowa-Whitman National Forest
1550 Dewey Ave
PO Box 907
Baker City, OR 97814
(541) 523-6391

Weather Forecast

Guide Books

Sullivan's 100 Hikes in Eastern Oregon describes the hike to Crater Lake (but not a climb of the mountain itself).

Sullivan's Eastern Oregon Hikes

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.