Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.65800°N / 111.701°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10241 ft / 3121 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

10,241 ft Mount Raymond is the 2nd highest peak on the ridgeline separating Big Cottonwood Canyon and Mill Creek Canyon. There are a number of steep but well-maintained trails that pass near the peak, allowing for a variety of ascent options from either canyon and is easily accessible in the winter. Although a little cross country travel is required, the easiest route is class 1.

From the summit one has excellent views of Wild Cat Ridge and the Cottonwood Ridge.

Getting There

Big Cottonwood Canyon: Drive a few miles/minutes up Big Cottonwood Canyon to the trailhead at Hidden Falls. This trailhead is located at the base of the tight switchback the road makes at this part of the canyon. From the parking lot, hike up the trail to the higher part of the road, cross it, and continue hiking north up Mill B North Fork.  Mill Creek Canyon: Either the trailhead just past the Church Park Picnic Ground or the Porter Fork Trailhead. The latter is about halfway up the canyon, which is where the road is closed in the winter.

Red Tape

None, apart from general wilderness courtesy

When To Climb

Any time of year is good

Camping

As far as I'm aware, camping is legal anywhere +1mile from the road and +100 feet off of any trail.

Mountain Conditions

Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Utah Avalanche Center

The Avalanche Center

Wasatch Mountain Club



External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Ammon Hatch

Ammon Hatch - Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Fossils

For anyone interested in Paleontology, there are some interesting fossils in formations along the northeast ridge. The first I noticed were a large quantity of burrows (trace fossils) right after the first scramble. Later on there is a formation with Rugose Corals and Crinoid stems. All the formations intersect the route, so you don't have to leave the ridge to see them. Also, as tempting as it may be to collect them, please leave them where they are so others can enjoy them (at least the ones on the ridge). They are in a hard limestone and getting them out would be painstaking and likely destroy them anyways. If you really want some, take the effort to go off-route a ways.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.