Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.87170°N / 120.8255°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6240 ft / 1902 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This mountain is located in the Lake Wanatchee area. The nearest town is Leavensworth, WA.

Trail #1500 takes you to the old lookout site ( about 4.5 miles).

From the ranger station by the lake, the trail ascends to the 5,989-ft lookout summit.

From the lookout site you can get to the summit by traversing NW along the ridge (1.7 miles).

This is Dirtyface Peak (6,240 ft).

Along the way one passes over another peak ("Dirtyface Mountain" -- Pk 6223).
This is Dirtyface Mountain (6223 ft)

There is no trail beyond the lookout summit and no other trails to the summits of Dirtyface Mountain or Dirtyface Peak

The rewards are annoying chipmunks as well as comprehensive views from the top which include Lake Wenatchee, Glacier Peak and Nason Ridge.

I only saw two other parties on the mountain when I was there, and this was a beautiful Saturday in August. My understanding is that this one of the obscure peaks in WA - the fact that it is being submitted to this site by a tourist (me) attests to this.

Getting There


Lake Wenatchee Ranger Station, the trailhead is located behind the office. From Leavenworth, WA go west on Highway 2, turn right at Coles Corner onto County Road 207 and continue eight miles to the ranger station.

22976 State Highway 207
Leavenworth, WA 98826
(509) 763-3103 (Voice/TTY)
Fax: (509) 763-3211

Red Tape


A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead ($5 daily, $30 annual pass).

When To Climb


July and August are the easiest. The peak is not glaciated but would probably require the usual winter gear during the snow months (crampons, ice axe, snow shoes/poles).

Camping


There is a nice wooded campsite about half way up the trail with a fire ring. I don't beleive there are additional fees other than the Northwest Forest Pass mentioned above.

For other campgrounds in the area see:


http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreate/recmain.html

Mountain Conditions



Wenatchee NF:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/

Lake Wenatchee Ranger District (509) 763-3103

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Bill562

Bill562 - Aug 2, 2004 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks, Klenke.

I will copy this info to the overview section so that it is more visible.

Bill

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 31, 2004 4:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The following should be noted:
1. The correct way to write out the name is one word: Dirtyface Peak
2. The trail (No. 1500) does not actually go to the true summit (the highest point on what could be termed "Dirtyface Ridge"). From the ranger station by the lake, the trail ascends to the 5,989-ft lookout summit. The true summit is still a rugged 1.7 miles away to the NW along the ridge. Along the way one passes over another peak ("Dirtyface Mountain" -- Pk 6223)
3. This is Dirtyface Mountain (6223 ft)
4. This is Dirtyface Peak (6,240 ft). The coordinates for Dirtyface Peak's true summit for Topozone's purposes are 47.8717, -120.8255
5. There is no trail beyond the lookout summit and no other trails to the summits of Dirtyface Mountain or Dirtyface Peak

Bill562

Bill562 - Aug 2, 2004 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks, Klenke.

I will copy this info to the overview section so that it is more visible.

Bill

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.