Sleeping Giant (Nonou Mountain)

Sleeping Giant (Nonou Mountain)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.06420°N / 159.3546°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1241 ft / 378 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sleeping Giant or Nonou Mountain is a small "mountain" just outside the town of Wailua on the island of Kauai. Although not very tall by any standard, the 1000 + feet of elevation gain required to reach its proud summit should provide a peak bagger with an hour or three of entertainment. Beautiful summit views as well as the rich fauna you encounter on the hike up are two big reasons to scale this peak. Summit vistas include the coastal communities of Wailua and Kapa'a to the east; pointy-shaped King Kong Mountain to the north; the Ha'upu (2297 feet) Mountain to the south; and the rainforested ridges to the west.

Getting There

Quick access to the trailhead(s) is an additional incentive to "bagging" this little peak. Take Hawaii highway 56 (the main coastal artery on Kauai's east shore) to Wailua - between mile markers 6 and 7. Turn west on (marked) Haleilio Road and follow that road for approximately 1.25 miles to the well marked pull out (Nonou Mountain Trail) on the right (north) side of the higway (see the bouldering photo). This is the quickest way to the top. Two additional trailheads provide alternative access points and are just slightly longer.

Red Tape

No red tape.

When To Climb

The "climb" can be done year round though keep in mind that Kauai's status as the "garden isle" is due to its abundant rainfall. The rains usually come and go quickly and are more frequent during the winter months.

Camping

There's very little reason to backcountry camp during your "climb" of this "mountain". It is not clear whether backcountry camping is permitted in the area. Check with the State Park office listed above.

Mountain Conditions

Hawaii Division of State Parks
3060 Eiwa Street
Room 306
Lihu'e, HI 96766-1875
808-274-3444


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kauai PeaksMountains & Rocks