Cilindro de Marboré

Cilindro de Marboré

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.68463°N / 0.02405°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10941 ft / 3335 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cilindro de Marboré
View of Cilindro from the...

The Cilindro de Marboré is one of the highest mountains of the Pyrenees but nevertheless it's one of the big strangers due to the presence and nearness of his big brother the Monte Perdido who does shade to him. In spite of everything it is a mount with own personality and difficulty that rewards with one of better view of the valleys of Ordesa and Gavarnie. The massiff of Mt Perdido is generally called "Las Tres Sorores" including the three famous peaks of Monte Perdido (3355m), Cilindro (3335m) and Soum de Ramond (3254m)

For the approximation and all the details of routes of this mount you can to consult, not to repeat ourselves, page of Monte Perdido, since all the routes coincide up to the Col of Cilindro that it separates both summits.

A very significant characteristic of the ascent to the Cilindro is that it supposes climbing over a wall of degree II of 20-30 meters that generally precise of the use of a rope for the decrease (and even the ascent) and that makes desist to many persons to try the climb. It is very common to make his ascent after crowning the Monte Perdido but it forces to take the rope for a long time. In spite of everything the section is not specially difficult to climb but it's necessary some of experience. The fall is not very pronounced either.

Secondary summit: Pitón SW of Cilindro (3194m). Behind of the chimney in the normal route.

Translation: Cylinder.

First climb: Henry Russell, 1864 (with the french guide Emilien Frossard).
"The monumental cut, the babylonian and perpendicular lines of this giant of marble, they give him such an inaccessible aspect, that when in Gavarnie in 1864, I spoke of ascending, I found little spirit. Falling to the north absolutely in vertical, approximately 300 or 400 meters on the glacier of the Monte Perdido, it me was remembering these impregnable and monstrous fortresses that they arise from the sea between Portsmouth and Ryde....The view is of an indescribable brilliance, more beautiful than that of the Monte Perdido." ("Memories of a mountaineer". Henry P. M. Russell, 1834-1909)

Getting There

Clindro de Marboré seen from...

See the page of Monte Perdido (It is impossible to overcome the magnificent description that "eza" does in this page).

Red Tape

No permit required.
Rope of 30 metres is highly advisable for the chimney-wall grade II specially for the descent.
In winter it's a very hard climb.

When To Climb

June to september.

Pictures of summit

some images in the summit:

Camping

See the page of Monte Perdido

Mountain Conditions

Meteo-France

Maps-Guidebooks

Maps-Guidebooks of Ordesa (in spanish):
*Mapas Pirenaicos #5: Monte Perdido. Miguel Angulo. Map: 1:15.000. ISBN: 84-8216-154-7. Sua edizioak 2003.
*Cuadernos Pirenaicos #8: Ordesa. Miguel Angulo & Eduardo Vi�uales. Map: 1:35.000. ISBN: 84-8216-097-4. Sua edizioak 2000.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.