Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.23460°N / 74.2027°W
Additional Information County: Franklin
Additional Information Elevation: 3352 ft / 1022 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Ampersand is the tallest mountain near Saranac Lake. Saranac lake is a beautful lake in the Adirondacks and is a well known resort area in New York. About six miles west of Lake Placid, Saranac has been a resort since the ninetheenth century and has benefited from Olympic venues at Lake Placid. The Christian youth organization,Young Life, has a camp there for youth.
There's a 1/2 mile trail down to a picnic and beach area from the parking area. Nice spot to cool off after the hike if you want at Middle Saranac Lake. There is a bronze plaque at the summit dedicated to a hermit who lived there from 1915-1923. It reads: In Loving Memory of Walter Channing Rice 1852-1924 "Hermit of Ampersand" who kept vigil from this peak... The mountain takes its name from the appearance of the lake on its southern slopes.

Getting There

From New York City drive north on the New York throughway I-87 to Albany and continue north toward Lake Champlain. When you are at the same latitude as the south end of Lake Champlain, go west into the forest on 9N to Keen and then follow 73 to Lake Placid, then wend your way west another six miles to Saranac Lake. Ampersand rises behind the lake and is about 4 miles south of the lake.

Ampersand's trailhead lies on Rt. 3, about 7 miles east of the intersection of routes 30 and 3. There is a small parking lot located across the road from the trailhead (on the right hand side of the road if headed from Saranac Lake toward Tupper Lake). Keep in mind this small lot gets very congested on nice days. The trail is 2.7 miles long and sometimes there are pools of water in th rocks. If you use these pools use a filter to avoid giardia.


Camping

NEW YORK STATE (* Indicates sites are on water)


STATE CAMPGROUNDS:
Sleep under the stars and enjoy our fresh mountain air, bring your tent or RV, or sleep in one of our unique Adirondack Lean-tos. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) maintains a wide variety of camping facilities in the area, including small roadside sites found along Jones Pond and the Fleetwood Road, cozy little campgrounds like Meadowbrook and Buck Pond, island campsites on the Saranac Lakes, and the extensive Fish Creek and Rollins Pond Campgrounds. Please note that there are no electrical or water hook ups at any of the state run sites. Private campgrounds offer scenery and serenity along with full electrical and water hook-ups.Reservation number: 800/456-2267.

Buck Pond*
in Onchiota, (518) 891-3449 - (114 sites)

Fish Creek*
West of Upper Saranac Lake, (518) 891-4560 (355 sites)

Meadowbrookin Ray Brook, (518) 891-4351 - (62 sites)

Rollins Pond* (adjacent to Fish Creek), (518) 891-3239 - (290 sites)

Saranac Lake Islands*
West of the village of Saranac Lake BOAT ACCESS ONLY!
(518) 891-2841 (87 sites)

NOTE: State sites do not offer water or electrical hook-ups. Reservations for any New York State campground can be made by calling 1-800-456-2267.


Weather


alt="Click for Saranac_Lake, New York Forecast" height=60 width=468>