Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.27080°N / 74.1363°W
Additional Information Elevation: 3940 ft / 1201 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Thomas Cole as seen from the...


Thomas Cole is the westernmost high peak in the Blackhead Range. Like Black Dome, it used to offer views south towards the southern Catskills. The area got its name because when viewed from a distance the tops of the peaks appear Black due to the spruce/Balsam Summits. However, the viewpoint has now been overgrown (Special thanks to RobA). From the west, access is via the Black Dome Range Trail from Maplecrest. From the east, access is via the Black Dome Range Trail over Black Dome from Big Hollow and Lockwood Gap. History of the mountains namesake: Thomas Cole was a great painter of the Hundson River Valley and of others.

The Blackhead Range


The views looking north from Colgate Lake and along route 23C are absolutely spectacular any time of the year. But by far the best time is during the awesome autumn months for the colorful New England colors.
Rock Carvings near the summit from the 1800's are very interesting and worth while to checkout.


Getting There

Quad Based Map showing the...Map of the Route


Big Hollow Trailhead

Exit the NYS Thruway at exit 20; turn left onto Route 32 at the light. Head West over the Thruway for 0.2 of a mile. Follow route 32 for a total of 6.2 miles at which time you will want to stay left on route 32A at the “Y”. Follow this to Palenville for 1.9 miles at which time you will want to stay left on 23A at the “Y”. Follow route 23A for 6.8 miles while passing through Haines Falls to the Town of Tannersville. At the only (as of 2002) traffic light in Tannersville turn right on route 23C (Hill Street- north) for 2.1miles to a “Y” intersection and the All Souls Church, stay left for another 1.1 miles (down hill) to East Jewett. Continue straight for another 2.9 miles to county route 40. Turn Right on route 40 towards Maple Crest. Head north for 1.9 miles on route 40 to Maple Crest. Stay right onto county route 56, Big Hollow Road (route 40 bears Left to Hensonville). Follow Big Hollow Road for 4.3 miles to the end and the Trailhead.

Barnum Road Trailhead

Exit the NYS Thruway at exit 20; turn left onto Route 32 at the light. Head West over the Thruway for 0.2 of a mile. Follow route 32 for a total of 6.2 miles at which time you will want to stay left on route 32A at the “Y”. Follow this to Palenville for 1.9 miles at which time you will want to stay left on 23A at the “Y”. Follow route 23A for 6.8 miles while passing through Haines Falls to the Town of Tannersville. At the only (as of 2002) traffic light in Tannersville turn right on route 23C (Hill Street- north) for 2.1miles to a “Y” intersection and the All Souls Church, stay left for another 1.1 miles (down hill) to East Jewett. Continue straight for another 2.9 miles to county route 40. Turn Right on route 40 towards Maple Crest. Head north for 1.6 miles to Barnum Road, turn right on Barnum road. Follow Barnum road east for 1.1 miles to the end and the Trailhead.


Red Tape

See the NYS Dep. of Environmental Conservation Web Site

Red Tape and info about Back Country Camping.

When To Climb

Can be climb at anytime. Remember in winter to bring snowshoes and crampons.

Camping

Back Country Camping

Red Tape and info about Back Country Camping.

Mountain Conditions

This link will give you Weather in the Catskills

Not exclusive to The Blackhead Mountains but might contain some up to date weather info
Trail Conditions

Mountain Biking

Rules of Mountain Biking
Rules of Mountain Bike

If looking for a place to stay and have a guided ride contact Mountain Bike Inn and ask for Ernie. Tell him Rik sent you, either you'll get a deal or a screwing. Regardless of the out come you'll have fun.

Long Path Information

For information about the Long Path Trail from Phoenicia to Windham click here.

Special Thanks

Special thanks to grandwazoo for his original submission of this beautiful mountain.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
EastKing

EastKing - Sep 5, 2005 12:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the update. I have noted it in the page.

redcell6613

redcell6613 - Mar 13, 2005 10:07 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thomas Cole was a painter from Lancashire, England. He spent the summer of 1825 walking the Hudson Valley and Catskills and making sketches of his observations. One of his famous paintings was "The Falls of Caterskill", which was purchased by a fellow artist, John Trumbull, for $25 sometime in 1826.
In 1836 he married Maria Bartow and the couple moved to a small house in Catskill. He continued his years travelling and painting and became a member of the Episcopal Church, where he took artists on as apprentices.
Thomas Cole climbed one last time in October of 1847 on Overlook Mountain. The next year he passed away just before springtime.

Rob A

Rob A - Sep 3, 2005 2:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The view from the side trail was competely over grown , no views.

EastKing

EastKing - Sep 5, 2005 12:55 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the update. I have noted it in the page.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.