Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.20380°N / 71.413°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2840 ft / 866 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crawford Notch from the...A shot at Crawford Notch from Mount Willard



Though dwarfed by many of the nearby higher summits of the White Mountains, Mt. Willard is a must for hikers to visit. It's classic view of Crawford Notch is legendary and the view is often featured in many magazines and travel guides. This mountain is another mountain that offers a huge amount of bang for the buck.

Mount Willard The trail up



The trail is easy to pick up from the parking area and is very winter accessible. It is crowded at all times of the year which includes winter. One can get away with not using snowshoes in winter due to the heavy use of this trail. Micro-spikes are though highly recommended. The 1.6 mile one way Class 1 Mt. Willard trail steadily takes to the summit where the legendary 180 degree views of Crawford Notch welcome you. This is well worth the two hour drive and two hour hike.

Mount Willard View Looking down the notch




Getting There

VIA THE CRAWFORD NOTCH HOSTEL AND DEPOT: From Twin Mountain take Route 302 past Bretton Woods ski area and past the Mt. Washington Hotel. Rough five past the Mt. Washington Hotel the Crawford Notch Depot and Hostel will be on your right. The Mt. Willard Trail is located right behind the Depot station where it meets with the Mt. Avalon Trail.

Red Tape

This trailhead has no fees.

When To Climb

This mountain can be hiked throughout the year, and is often packed even in winter. Don't except much solitude. However the view is well worth it.

Camping

There is little reason to camp on this summit due to the fact that it is just a short half-day hike and that it is reaaly popular. However there is a brand new AMC Highlands Lodge which open in Fall 2003 that features incredible healthy and tasty food at the restaurant.



Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.