Peñon de Ifach

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.63444°N / 0.07613°E
Additional Information Elevation: 1089 ft / 332 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Penon is the coastal landmark of the Costa Blanca region. It is a magnet for rock climbers, hikers, and naturalists. The monolith is a peninsula jutting out from the town of Calpe. As such it is the smallest natural park in Spain. A trail blasted through the limestone leads to the top. But the draw for climbers are excellent climbing routes ranging from 6 to 10 pitches in length, trad to fully bolted sport, and difficulties from 5.10a to 5.12b. In an area packed with climbing venues of all types, this is a standout climbing objective that is on every visiting climbers tick-list.

Red Tape

Several of the North side routes have been closed to climbers. Closures are extended in the months of April, May, and June to virtually the entire North face for bird nesting. South side routes are open for climbing, but climbers need to keep a low profile, as some park administrators are investigating if climbing is appropriate to a nature preserve.

Getting There

Fly to Alicante or Valencia. Most climbers will arrive via Alicante.
From Alicante: Drive on the A7 following signs for Benidorm and Calpe. Drive past Benidorm, and take exit 64 signed to Altea/Calpe. From there drive the N332 through the Mascarat Gorge. After the Gorge, the Peñon and the towers of Calpe come into view. Turn at the Calpe Sur exit, and negotiate several roundabouts through the old town, until driving along the strip of beach resorts. There are clear signs for the Peñon natural area. Those wishing to hike will find a dirt parking lot that can hold about 20 cars. Those wishing to climb would do better to park along the marina. Roads and parking are changing due to continued construction in the area.
From Valencia: Drive the A7 toward Alicante for about 1.5 hours. Turn off at the 63 Exit signed Benissa/Calpe. Follow signs for Calpe nor which leads almost directly to the Peñon.

When to Climb

Spring: Perfect
Summer: Way too hot, except for North side routes.
Fall: As good as Spring, but with higher chances of rain.
Winter: Perfectly possible, but sometimes it can be windy and cold.

Camping

Why? Renting an apartment in Calpe outside of the summer months is cheap. It can be as low as £7.00 per person per night if traveling with friends.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Nov 18, 2007 8:22 pm - Voted 8/10

Some sites

http://www.colla.org/bifurcar.asp?orige=nou&desti=penife.html http://www.morosicristians.com/calpeescalada.htm

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Nov 19, 2007 7:38 am - Voted 8/10

Re: Some sites

http://www.ambiental-hitos.com/ambientalitos/ifach.htm http://www.nalsite.com/Servicios/Parques%20Naturales/VALENCIA/PARQUE%20NATURAL%20PE%C3%91ON%20DE%20IFACH.htm

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Nov 19, 2007 7:45 am - Voted 8/10

Another name

Peñón de Ifach is also known as Penyal de Ifach (Valencian)

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Mar 24, 2008 1:59 pm - Voted 8/10

El Consell prohíbe la escalada en el Peñón por obras

http://www.desnivel.com/object.php?o=16820

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm - Voted 8/10

Re: El Consell prohíbe la escalada en el Peñón por obras

"Trabajos de destrucción en el Peñón de Ifach": http://www.desnivel.com/deportes/escalada_en_roca/object.php?o=16827

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.