Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.77090°N / 116.6967°W
Additional Information County: Riverside
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7528 ft / 2295 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Originally known as Suicide Peak in the mid 1940's, Suicide Rock was renamed because "investigation reports the feature is a rock outcrop not a peak." Standing above the quaint town of Idyllwild, just a mile across the valley from Tahquitz Rock, the approach to the base of the rock via the climber's trail, is much shorter and less steep than that of Tahquitz. There are upward of 300 routes on Suicide Rock alone, and the rock is of high quality white granite just as Tahquitz Rock. Suicide has more climbing routes on its face and is sunny most of the time; well known for its difficult sporty routes and cooler summertime climbing in comfortable afternoon shade.
Routes range from traditional 5.1 to bolted 5.13a on beautiful unglaciated granite; something for everyone.
[img:42126:aligncenter:medium:Tahquitz Rock and Suicide Rock seen from Devil's Slide trail.]

Getting There

Traveling from Banning on I-10, take CA Hwy 243S passing through Pine Cove on to Idyllwild, quaint mountain town on western slope of San Jacinto mountain range.
From Hemet, travel east on Hwy 74 to Mountain Center. Turn left onto CA Hwy 243N and continue on to Idyllwild.
Once in Idyllwild, take North Circle Drive through town towards Humber Park. At the first large water tank, you will find the trail head to Suicide Rock on the left side of the road. Park roadside here; elevation approx 6280'.
Walk down steps fortified with logs to trail across a creek, usually dry in summer, and get onto paved road. Turn right and continue up road as it becomes dirt and ends. There is a trail register here to your left. Continue to a sign "Trail not maintained past this point," although that sign was need dire need of help the last time I saw it. Climbers' trail will exit on the left to begin switchbacks to base of Suicide Rock. Trail ends near Buttress of Cracks and The Weeping Wall, eastern face of rock.
Please take care to not disrespect the residents along the trail with noise or trash.

Red Tape

No National Forest Adventure Pass needed to park at trail head or to hike to rock base.
There is a psuedo log book in closed case at climbers' trail head. Good idea to log in but funnier to read previous logs! Worth looking into regardless.

When To Climb

Optimum climbing season for Suicide Rock is May to October. Suicide tends to be a bit wetter and cooler as it mainly faces northeast and south. Wonderful walls for late summer afternoons.
Snow and ice will appear as early as December but with varying degrees as California experiences its chronic drought.
Ice climbing is done on the Weeping Wall.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on trails to Suicide, but there is ample camping in the town of Idyllwild.
Idyllwild Park has camping for $15 a night, hot showers are available. (909)659-2656
The Idyllwild Campground along Hwy 243 charges $16 on weekends; hot showers and toilets are available. (800)444-7275

Mountain Conditions

Weather condition information can be found at Idyllwild local website.
Mountain weather conditions

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.