Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.63000°N / 23.83000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5718 ft / 1743 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Dirfi is the highest mountain of Evia. Although Evia is technically an island, it is considered part of mainland Greece because it is only separated by a narrow channel. It stretches from NW to SE, with Dirfi rising in the middle.

Even though its height is moderate, Dirfi is popular for two reasons: The proximity to Athens (making a day trip possible) and the challenging conditions. Being exposed to the winds of the Aegean Sea, Dirfi often has weather conditions normally found on much higher mountains. The route to the peak is a walk-up but the weather can still make you turn back. Its slopes also attract randonee skiers.

What is strange about Dirfi is that its peak looks like a volcano crater, which is why some people call it "Greek Fuji". There are some steep couloirs near the peak but they are too short to be considered routes.

Getting There


Use the E-75 highway (joining Athens with northern Greece) and exit to Chalkida. The city is located on the East side of the channel.(77km from Athens).

After passing the bridge don't enter the city, instead turn left following the signs to northern Evia and Artaki. In Artaki (5km) turn right and follow the signs to Steni. Steni is a village at Dirfi's base and the usual trekking start. (27km from Chalkida).

You can also take the train to Chalkida and arrange for a taxi driver to take you to Steni and come back later to pick you up (not so expensive for 3-4 people).

KTEL buses from Athens to Chalkida from 05:30 to 21:00

Camping


There is a hut maintained by Chalkida Alpine Club. It is usually open on weekends (in the winder only if the road is cleared) for food and warm drinks. You can make reservations there even if the road is not open by contacting the club.

The hut sleeps 50, has a fully equipped kitchen and shower with hot water.

The saddle on which the refuge is located is also a good camping site.

Chalkida Alpine Club:
Aggeli Gyviou 22
Chalkida, 34100, Greece
Tel: ++6221 025230 (club)
++ 6221 051825 (hut)

Mountain Conditions


National Observatory of Athens 72-hours Forecasts General forecast. Check the forecast for Chalkida, the nearest city.

Don't underestimate Dirfi. The weather can be really bad for a mountain that low.

Literature


Anavasi editions 1:25000 map, available at UK Amazon

External links

Ski mountaineering on the western slopes of Dirfi
Ski mounteneering in Steni, Dirfi


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.