Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.80320°N / 110.3517°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13263 ft / 4043 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Gunsight Peak is one of the highest mountains in Utah, located between Gilbert Peak and Kings Peak. It is seldom visited but is an easy scramble and has excellent summit views. People often pass over this peak to descend to Gunsight Pass while hiking from Gilbert Peak to Kings Peak.

Getting There


Gunsight Peak is usually climbed via the Henrys Fork approach. Drive south from Interstate 80 on Wyoming State Route 414 for 6 miles to Mountain View, WY. Route 414 turns west through Mountain View and becomes Route 410 as the road turns south at the west end of town. Drive Route 410 toward Robertson, WY for 6.7 miles to the point where it turns west. From this point, drive Uinta County Road 283 (also named Forest Road 072) south toward Grahams Reservoir and Bridger Lake for 12.1 miles to Forest Road 017. Turn left on Forest Road 017 and continue south 6.8 miles to Forest Road 077. Drive south on Forest Road 077 for 2.8 miles, and turn right on the road to Henrys Fork Campground and the Henrys Fork Trailhead, ca. 8000ft.

Although Gunsight Peak is not mentioned, 'High Uinta Trails' by Mel Davis and John Veranth provides good information on the approach and accessing the surrounding peaks.

The approach hike is about 8 miles one way and gains 3,000 feet. Once the lakes are reached, one can ascend via 3 main ways:
1. Scramble up the rocky ridgeline along cliffbands above Gunsight Pass
2. Sramble up a ridgeline that originates above Dollar Lake. This approach is also common for Gilbert Peak.
3. Scramble up a gulley that is located above the last thick patch of trees on the north side of the canyon (ca. 11,400ft), just after the junction with the pack trail. This route is the most likely to have a snowfield in late summer, which can be very convenient for refilling water.

Red Tape


Although Gunsight Peak is in the High Uintas wilderness area, no permits are required, just Leave No Trace traveling.

When To Climb


June through September are often the best months. In early season there are snow patches near the summit that are useful for refilling water.

Camping


You can camp at the trailhead in Henrys Fork Campground, and there are many camping sites along the approach hike. Most people camp around Dollar Lake and Henry Fork Lake.

Mountain Conditions





External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.