Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35061°N / 117.79953°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9138 ft / 2785 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Throop Peak is the second highest summit in the group which stretches from Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle This is a beautiful section of the Pacific Crest Trail and the summit offers an impressive 360 degree view, which includes both Mt Baldy and Mt Baden-Powell, the Mojave desert, and on clear days, even the Pacific Ocean. The quickest route is from Dawson Saddle but access to this trailhead is closed to vehicles during winter.

Getting There

Take Angeles Crest Highway (SR2) to any of three trail heads, Islip Saddle, Dawson Saddle, or Vincent Gap. Throop Peak can also be accessed from the Crystal Lake area on Highway 39. Check with the local ranger district for any current restrictions.

Red Tape

A Wilderness Aventure Pass is required for any parked vehicle. Currently, a permit is required for the use of stoves outside of developed sites and open fires are restricted to developed sites only. Incase of changes on current permit requirments, check the Ageles Natl Forest site.

When To Climb

Spring and Fall are the popular months for this hike because of cooler temperatures and ease of access.

Camping

There are a few options for camping in this area. There is Little Jimmy Trail Camp(walk in), about 2 miles in from Islip Saddle. Primitive car camping is available at Blue Ridge campground, east of Vincent Gap. Also, backpacking allowed in the area. Please be sure to camp responsibly. Water can be found at Little Jimmy Spring and Lamel Spring, a short side trek from the Mt Baden-Powell side.

Mountain Conditions

Current weather conditions can also be found on the NWS site.

For up-to-date road information contact Cal-Trans at 1-800-427-7623.

 

Miscellaneous Info

Throop Peak's namesake was Amos Gager Throop(1811-1894), founder of Throop University, now know as the California Institute of Technology.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.