Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.84940°N / 71.7792°W
Additional Information County: Providence
Additional Information Elevation: 812 ft / 247 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jerimoth Hill is the highest point in Rhode Island. It is hardly a mountain, but is of interest to Highpointers.

Jerimoth Hill had once been the most restrictive state high point. The owners had only kept open it to the public only 5-times a year on open access days. In some cases, they shot at people who tried to highpoint any other day. Brown University owned it starting in 2012 and as of October 2014, the highpoint and the access road to it is owned by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management’s public lands.  Previously access was 8am to 6pm, but others have reported it is open all the time, and that may be the case now that it is owned by the State of Rhode Island.  If anyone finds there is a restriction, let me know.

The highpoint area is attractive, as is this part of Rhode Island, with lakes and verdant trees along the road. The summit is a large rock about 200 yards from the road, (ie. less than a 5 minute walk over flat ground. You only gain about 10 feet from the trailhead.) It would be about 250 feet if you started at the bottom of "the hill" by the Alvia Chase Reservoir, still in Connecticut.

Getting There

Jerimoth Hill is about an hour or so south of Boston, Massachusetts. The summit is off of Rhode Island Route 101. To get there, you would take I-395 to the 101 exit near East Killingly, Connecticut. Take route 101 East until you pass a small lake, below a big hill, and go to the top of the hill and there is a small sand parking area on the left, and the highpoint is across the road, on the right. In 2005, the Highpointers Club built a short trail to the summit, that you can take from the parking area to the summit.

Red Tape

As of October 2014, the access road and the summit is owned by the State of Rhode Island and has guaranteed access to the highpoint without having to cross private land. Access is still available from 8am to 6pm every day and with the new ownership it may just be open all the time.  There are still nearby property owners with land adjacent to the highpoint. So please be respectful, don't make too much noise or cause disturbance.

Jerimoth Hill  photo_id=90412
"The Hill" from route 101 going East.


Camping and Other hiking

If you are going to take the time to camp you may want to visit other major mountain areas in the region such as the Berkshires, the Adirondaks, or the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

Furthermore, several state highpoints are within a few hours drive, including:

Frissel SW Shoulder - Connecticut (About 1 1/2 hours)
Mt. Greylock - Massachusetts (About 2 hours)
High Point - New Jersey (About 3 hours)
Mt. Marcy - New York (About 3 1/2 hours)
Mt. Washington - New Hampshire (About 4 hours)

If you really can't travel very far away, check out this link where you'll find info on nearby campgrounds and hotels.

Local Conditions

Check out the link page for the weather report.

Rock Climbing and hiking in Rhode Island

If you want to find places to go hiking or rock climbing in Rhode Island, or the area near Jerimoth Hill, check out these sites:

Rock Climbing in Rhode Island
County Highpoints of Rhode Island


If you want a nice bike/wilderness trail, check out the North-South Trail, which reaches about a mile from the high point:

Unofficial Map
Greenways Alliance of Rhode Island



External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 14, 2008 12:41 am - Voted 10/10

Summit log

There's a mailbox at the end of the signed Jerimoth trail with a summit register in it, next to the highpoint boulder.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Sep 14, 2008 8:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Access days

Dan, the last paragraph on the Jerimoth Hill page needs to be updated. It currently reads, "Since Jerimoth Hill is open only on weekends..." It is now open every day, as mentioned elsewhere on your page. Cheers...

Alpinist

Alpinist - Mar 14, 2012 9:01 am - Voted 10/10

Land purchased by state

The state of Rhode Island purchased the land at Jerimoth Hill in 2011, which now guarantees public access to the highpoint. Full Story

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Land purchased by state

Thanks. If you have a sec, can you look at my changes and let me know if my updates are accurate?

Alpinist

Alpinist - Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Land purchased by state

The article only states that public access is guaranteed. I did not read anywhere that there is 24x7 access. Unless you read that specifically somewhere, I would err on the side of caution and tell people that the hours are 8am-4pm as before. (Most state parks are only open during the daytime, though I'm not sure this is a state park yet.) It would not be good if someone showed up illegally at 10pm based on reading your page. Cheers...

gdbenoit - Oct 18, 2012 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Access Times

I happened to be in the area and thought I'd check out Jerimoth Hill today. As it turns out, a sign at the trail head on Rte. 101 states that the summit area (and presumably trail) are open to the public ONLY on Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 6pm.

Greatshaitan

Greatshaitan - Jul 5, 2013 12:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access Times

Sign now indicates nothing about Saturday/Sunday only, looks open everyday. See my picture attached to the page.

nartreb

nartreb - Oct 21, 2014 4:21 pm - Hasn't voted

State purchases highpoint

Contrary to earlier comments on this page, the highpoint itself is owned by Brown University. The adjacent parcel by the road is the one whose former owners denied access, and was sold to the state (by different owners) in 2011. Tomorrow the state will buy Brown University's parcel as well. Brown will retain a fifty-year right to use part of the land for astronomy. http://www.providencejournal.com/news/content/20141020-you-too-can-make-it-to-the-top-in-r.i.-jerimoth-hill-access-to-open.ece

Colin

Colin - Jul 7, 2016 6:13 pm - Hasn't voted

June 2016

The Highpointers Club has been busy. They've posted a sign at the head of the trail which says that it is open from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM daily. They've also replaced the mailbox with the traditional olive drab ammo box for the register. I'll post a picture. Someone else has built a cairn and installed a memorial to veterans. Nice work on the trail and site.

DaveMauro - Apr 24, 2017 7:06 pm - Hasn't voted

A video guide to Jerimoth Hill and all things Rhode Island.

Seven Summits Mountaineer Dave Mauro takes on the dreaded Jerimoth Hill!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VCQRn8A_Ro

rbirk - Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Sep 2017

I can confirm. Was there yesterday (Sep 18) and the openings hours are 8am-6pm according to sign. Easy to find and follow big trail to "summit". A pile of rocks with registration box.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.