Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.23300°N / 81.277°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1385 ft / 422 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crowder's Mountain is the largest of a series of monadnocks that rise from the piedmont plateau south of Charlotte NC. There are three main peaks in this small range of mountains. Crowder's is the most conspicuous of the three, but King's Pinnacle is the tallest, and King's Mountain is the most historically significant (with a portion of it being protected as a National Monument as a Revolutionary War battlefield). This range is composed of capstone mainly of quartzite that resisted erosion, thus creating some relatively high terrain in this otherwise level area. Indeed, one can encounter rhododendron, mountain laurel, and flame azalea here; the classic heath shrubs generally associated with the high elevations of the southern Appalachians.

Cliffs near the summit.
Crowders.


For a truly excellent website covering the park, and all details of rock climbing there, go here.


View of Wall from TrailWall


Getting There

From Interstate 85 take Highway 74 East. About one and one half miles from I-85, look for the brown state park signs. Turn right and follow the signs to the park. Follow the road on to the park hq where there is a parking lot and the trailhead for The Pinnacle Trail which leads to the top of King's Pinnacle and The Crowder Mountain Trail which leads to Crowder's Mountain and the other routes to that peak.

Red Tape

No red tape to speak of. A modest camping fee for backcountry sites ($9), and one must register at park hq for rock climbing (but no charge for climbing).

Leading Go boy! on the far...Rock climbing.

When To Climb

All year. Keep in mind that it gets really, really hot in southern North Carolina during the summer months. Ticks can be a problem.

Typical capstone along the...Capstone.


Camping

No developed campgrounds for trailers. There are a couple of backcountry campsites with water and pit toilets and tent pads. The charge for these are $9 per night.

Mountain Conditions

Check weather for Charlotte NC or Gastonia NC.

The steep slopes and exposed...Trail.


External Links