Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.08200°N / 111.851°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9706 ft / 2958 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Thurston Peak is the highest peak in Davis and Morgan counties. It was relatively unknown prior to being officially named in the early 1990's, and before county highpoint climbing became popular. Thurston sits a few miles north of Francis Peak, famous in the area for it's two large white FAA radar domes that look like giant golf balls. By driving up Francis, you can follow the easy ridge all the way to Thurston. For the more sporting, Thurston can be climbed from the valley, a climb of nearly 5,000 vertical feet.

Getting There

The two routes I've taken to Thurston are via Francis Peak summit/Francis Peak road, and via Kays Creek.

For Francis Peak, take I-15 exit 327 (Lagoon). Turn right onto U.S. Highway 106, which is Farmington's Main Street. Turn left onto 600 North and follow the signs for the scenic backway. Turn left on 100 East which leads to Farmington Canyon. At 8 miles is a junction and early in the season the gate will be closed. Continue another four miles to the summit of Francis Peak.

For Kays Creek, take I-15 exit 326 (U.S. 89 to Ogden). As you go north, look for an intersection with two gas stations (one a Sinclair, the other a Tesoro). At this intersection, turn east and the road quickly turns back north. Turn east onto Fernwood Drive. Follow the road up past a water tank and castle home. The trailhead is just beyond where the pavement ends.

Red Tape

No obstacles on the Kays Creek route. If climbing via Francis Peak, be aware that the road is not open all the way to the summit until sometime in May most years.

When To Climb

May through October most years. Large snowdrifts linger on the east slopes of the ridges into June, so be prepared. Winter can bring heavy snowfall, but great backcountry skiing opportunities.

Camping

There is an excellent campsite on the Kays Creek trail at about 7,500 feet, but this is a steep route and unpleasant with a heavy pack. For the most part these are day hike routes, but camping is allowed anywhere as far as I can tell.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Moogie737

Moogie737 - Mar 14, 2005 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

For me the worst part of the entire experience is driving up the steep, dirt/gravel winding and sometimes narrow road. If the washboard surface and hairpin turns are not enough to make one feel uncomfortable, then the racing 4-wheelers certainly are. The riders on these ATVs seem not to care one whit for safety, and I would expect that around every sharp corner there could be one or two of these things smack in the middle of the road. The canyon road is, in my opinion, made even more dangerous by the presence of ATVs. Allow at least 35-40 minutes to negotiate a one-way trip up or down the canyon itself.

tannerpuma15

tannerpuma15 - Dec 16, 2008 8:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Kays Creek

The two gas stations on hwy 89 are not the same anymore - one is a sinclair (on the east side) and I believe it is a Tesoro (on the west side). From there it should be the same.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Sep 16, 2012 10:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Different Exit designation

The exit to U.S. 89 from I-15 is now #324. There is no Exit #326.

jtanium - Jul 6, 2016 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

North Ridge of Adams Canyon

There is an additional trail along the north ridge of Adams Canyon (http://www.summitpost.org/adams-canyon-north-ridge/164098) Also if you happen to be headed up to Thurston, there's a notepad (log book) in a container near the marker. The notepad is almost full, so it would be cool if someone took a new one up there.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (North)Mountains & Rocks
 
Utah County HighpointsMountains & Rocks