Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24200°N / 117.634°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6924 ft / 2110 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A lesser peak in the Baldy area, this peak is a fun scramble involving route finding(no trail), some short Class 3 bouldering and a magnificent scree downhill ski(a bit of a slog on the way up). From the top there is a good view of the surrounding peaks(Baldy, Ontario, Bighorn,Timber). A great training hike for a time restricted outing. Up and down can be done in under 3 hours.

Getting There

Drive up Mt. Baldy Road through the village and a little ways beyond. Turn right at the fork in the road( left takes you to the ski area and Manker Flat) and park at the Ice House Canyon T.H. Parking lot.

Red Tape

A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for your vehicle while parked at any of the trailheads. The pass can be obtained from the ranger station in Baldy Village or near the entrance to Icehouse Canyon T.H. Many local merchants also sell the pass. The cost is $5.00 a day or $30.00 for an annual pass. To climb this peak using Falling Rock Canyon you will cross into the Cucamonga Wilderness. A wilderness pass is needed for both day hikes and overnighters. It can be obtained at the Baldy Village Ranger Station free of charge.

When To Climb

Sugarloaf can be climbed year round. In winter, depending on snow pack you may need snowshoes, crampons and ice axe.

Camping

While camping is allowed(permit required) this hike is so short that camping is not an issue.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Mt. Baldy Ranger Station in Baldy Village.
Angeles National Forest (626)574-5209
San Gabriel River Ranger District (626)335-1251
Mt Baldy Visitors Center (909)982-2829
San Bernardino National Forest (909)383-5588

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
greekclimber

greekclimber - Oct 14, 2005 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

On October 11th, I decided to climb Sugarloaf via Falling Rock Canyon. Anyone who decides to venture into this canyon be advised that the entrance is a complete mess. There are bushes, broken tree branches, thorn bushes and mud everywhere. Do not attempt this route unless some sturdy pants are worn.

sierradiscgolfer

sierradiscgolfer - Jul 31, 2006 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Untitled Comment

Thanks for posting this info.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Feb 12, 2006 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Sugarloaf Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.