Monte Viglio

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.88480°N / 13.37390°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7073 ft / 2156 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's new

- 30 October 2005 - Updated the text and the route description put in the special section;
- 8 December 2005 - Added a new section "Mountain condition" containing web-sites specialized for weather forecast

Overview

Monte Viglio (2156 meters) is the highest mountain of the Cantari chain (part of the Appennino chain running from North to South of Italy). The peak is located in the East side of the Lazio Region (centre of Italy), on the boundary line with Abruzzo Region. Viglio is one of the most frequented mountain in Central Appennino, climbed in summer and winter, even if in winter the ascent is considerd more interesting.
Summit of Monte Viglio from...The summit of Monte Viglio from the ridge

No peculiar difficulties are present following the normal route in both the season; only the step to be overcome under the so-called Gendarme rock requires caution, expecially in winter. The view from the summit is wonderful, mainly in winter; all the highest peaks of Central Appennini, such as Gran Sasso-Corno Grande(2912 meters), are in front of you and these are covered by ice and snow. The differences with the landscape of the valleys are enphasized.
Books and guides describe different routes in summer and winter but I climbed in winter following the normal route (North ridge).

Getting There

The start of the ascent is about 11 km far from the village of Filettino (1037 meters). From Rome about 120 km. The fastest way for Filettino from Rome is:Highway A1-Roma-Napoli, exit at Anagni-Fiuggi, proceed to Fiuggi, Altipiani di Arcinazzo and finally arrive in Filettino. Normally I stop here for breakfast in the early morning. The car can be parked on the side of a bend of the road turning on the left.

Red Tape

No permits are needed.

When To Climb

Two times I climbed Monte Viglio, always in winter. The snow is present from November to May, and the temperature can be easily under 0°C. See the route description.Monte Viglio is a beautiful hike also in summer and autumn with easily recognizible trails.
Skimountaineering routes are on the East side, such as along Vallone delle Portelle (max 35-40° is the steepest step of the descent), towards the village of Meta.

Mountain condition

An international reference can be the AccuWeather, web site.

In addition, a useful site could be the Aeronautica Militare-Servizio Meteorologico web site (In Italian).

Books and Guide

- Stefano Ardito, "A piedi nel Lazio". 3rd Volume Ed. ITER, 2003 (iter@mclink.it);
- C. Landi Vittorj, "Guida dei Monti d'Italia – Appennino Centrale, Volume 1" Club Alpino Italiano / Touring Club Italiano, 1989 (in Italian) – ISBN 88-365-0366-7


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.