Pizzo del Diavolo di Tenda

Pizzo del Diavolo di Tenda

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.06561°N / 10.00580°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9560 ft / 2914 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo del Diavolo from Pizzo del Becco


























This is one of the most goodlooking mountain of Alpi Orobie.
It looks as an almost perfect r sides pyramid situated on the border between Valtellina and Valbrembana.

It is also the source of the river Brembo. Like many mountain in the area, it is very busy of tourists and hikers during the summer season.
So i suggest to climb it from the normal route, in winter.
The north-west ridge, which is the normal route is quite vertical, and climb it in snow/ice condition can give big satifaction.

It's also dangerous, pay attention. I didn't climb this summit the day you can see in the photos, because a lot of wet snow of late spring still on the base of the mountain.

This is the bigger problem, and reach the base of the mountain on ski, I think is the best way.

Approach

From south:
Motorway from Milan to Bergamo. Go out at the gate "Dalmine". Drive all the lenght of the Brembana valley to the village of Carona or from Bergamo to the village of Fiumenero along the Val Seriana.

From Carona take the path number 210 to rif. Calvi (3.00 hours).
From here go in direction North-west towards Bocchetta di Podavit (2.30-3.00 hours).
From Fiumenero take the steep path to "Passo Portula" and than to the ref. Calvi(5/6 hours).

From north:
Very long approach and not advisable. The north side of the mountain overhang the Val Venina, very long and wild. Also without shelters or huts.
Anyway the starting point is the village of Piateda near Sondrio untill the "bocchetta di Podavit".


The normal route

You con reach the begin of the route from north and south.
The nearest hut are on the north side, the ref. Mambretti and on the south the ref. F. Calvi.

In both routes you must reach the Bocchetta di Podavit (notch).
This is the border between Valtellina and Val brembana. The ridge start from here.
The ridge go up quite vertical and exposed with rocks and ice. It's thin but not very difficult.
In a couple af hundred meters you can easily touch the summit (2914 slm).
Difficulty no more than PD.

Refuges and huts


-Ref. Fratelli Calvi (2015m): CAI Bergamo, tel. 035/244273
Owner telephone 0345/77224-77341
Winter room places: 8 - from Carona 2 hours

-Ref. Mambretti (2004m): CAI Sondrio, tel. 0342/214300
Places: 24 Winter room places: 4
Possible open by keys c/o CAI Sondrio, n. 0342/214300 e al n. 0342/217015-216940 - from Agneda 2 hours

-Bivouac Frattini (2250m): CAI Bergamo, 9 places - from Carona 4 hours



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpi OrobieMountains & Rocks