Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.74080°N / 79.1713°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4071 ft / 1241 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mount Pleasant is one of 4 peaks above 4000 ft. in the Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The Scenic area is in the George Washington National Forest and is in the Pedlar Ranger district, there are 7580 acres of lush wooded mountain country to explore. There is Black Bear, Whitetail Deer, Bobcat, Racoon and all other critters that are common to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Harry Lanum loop trail is the best way to climb Mount Pleasant. The trail is a loop trail with a spur trail leading to the summit and back. When I climbed this peak in late may, the hike along the loop trail was very green and wooded, you couldnt see any distances like you can in the western forests, but when I found some boulders to scamble at the top I felt like I had penetrated a canopy and was looking down at the thick woods I had just gone thru to get there. Virginia has around 80 peaks that are over 4000 ft. most of them are wooded at the top so they dont offer any distant views, but there are alot that do have clear long range views. I did see a few places to pitch a tent on this hike, and there are a few small creeks for water. At the summit there is views to the east and west, however you have to look around for some boulders to climb up and get you above the trees and brush.

Getting There


No matter what part of Virginia you are coming from you need to get on US60 then turn onto VA634 then turn right on VA755 which turns to dirt FDR 48 cross the Appalachain trail then signs point you to a dirt parking area. DeLorme- Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer page 54 B2

Red Tape


As far as I know there is no red tape. Tell someone where you are going, dont camp to close to water sources. Contact the Glenwood/Pedlar ranger district Buena Vista, Virginia 540-261-6105

When To Climb


Mount Pleasant can be climbed year round. Spring and fall would be the most comfortable time of year, summer can be very hot and humid and buggy, winter would have the best views but there is a chance of snow, be prepared for winter travel.

Camping


Yes backcountry camping is allowed. Check with the Pedlar Ranger district 504-261-6105


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.