Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.23970°N / 106.1834°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13855 ft / 4223 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Dyer Mountain Overview

Dyer Mountain seen from Pennsylvania Mountain
At 13,855 feet, Dyer Mountain is one of Colorado's 100 highest peaks: a "Centennial Thirteener." As with most peaks of the Tenmile and Mosquito Ranges, this mountain is easy to access, and it offers a number of easy hiking options to get to its summit from almost any direction. There is a more difficult route for the challenge-seekers. Dyer Mountain can also be combined with Mount Evans B for a more interesting ridge-route, or the mountain can be done in combination with Mount Sherman and/or Gemini Peak. More information on any of these routes can be found in the "Getting There" section of this page (scroll down), and in the route descriptions and trip reports in the left-hand column.

From the summit you have great views of the surrounding peaks, including Mount Sherman, Gemini Peak, Mount Sheridan and Horseshoe Mountain. To the west stand Mounts Elbert and Massive.

Getting There

Dyer Mountain Routes
I climbed Dyer Mountain as an addition to a hike up Mount Sherman and Gemini Peak. I had started from the Fourmile Creek Trailhead, which is not a traditional way of climbing Dyer Mountain. There are several other more reasonable options available, and any of the trailheads can easily be reached from Denver for a day-hike.

Note: All I can offer in way of directions to the following trailheads, is what Gerry Roach provides in his book "Colorado's Thirteeners." Any further info would be appreciated.

BLACK: Lower Iowa Gulch Trailhead (West Ridge):
From the U.S. 24 (Harrison Ave.) / Third Street junction, go east on Third Street.

At .3 mile, turn right (south) onto South Toledo Street.

Continue south, then east on the paved Lake County 2.

At 4.0 mile, stay left (north) and pass the active ASARCO mine.

At 5.7 mile, park at 11,520 feet.

According to Gerry Roach, this road is passable for passenger cars to this point. Winter closure is at the ASARCO mine.

Colint has provided the West Ridge Route, which according to his description is solid class 4. I have also heard this described as class 3. To my knowledge, this is the most difficult route up Dyer Mountain.

From Evans-Dyer Ridge: Photo by shknbke
RED: Upper Iowa Gulch Trailhead (Standard East Ridge Route):
From the aforementioned Lower Iowa Gulch Trailhead, continue .6 miles east on the road, pass under some large power lines, and park at 11,840 feet.

This is the standard route on Dyer Mountain, offering a short 4.2 mile (round-trip) class 2 hike up Dyer's east ridge. According to Gerry Roach, there can be avalanche hazards here in the winter, so proceed with caution when there is much snow. After reaching the 13,380-foot saddle between Dyer Mountain and Gemini Peak, you must pass under the huge powerlines to ascend Dyer Mountain's east ridge. From the powerlines, it is a fun and easy half-mile hike to the summit.

pphlux writes: "This trailhead is accessed from Leadville. There is a good road to well above timberline, and many mining and climbers trails follow thereafter. This is the easiest route."

From Sacramento Gulch: Photo by Bryan W
BLUE: Sacremento Creek Trailhead (East Ridge):
pphlux writes: "Sacremento Gulch offers access to Dyer's east side near Fairplay. From Fairplay, head north on Colo. Hwy 9 for two miles and turn left on Park County Road #14. Follow this road for almost seven miles until it veers south to cross Sacremento Creek. Park at this turn. Park off the road if you can, as parking is not allowed on County Roads in Park County."

This longer but scenic tour from the east is also a class 2 hike. pphlux describes this in the Sacramento Gulch Route.

GREEN: Mosquito Pass Trailhead (North Ridge):
This high trailhead is at 13,186 feet, and requires a good 4wd vehicle to access it. According to Gerry Roach, Mosquito Pass is the highest pass in Colorado open to vehicles. It can be reached from Alma (from the east) or Leadville (from the west).

Roach marks this high ridge walk as a classic in his book "Colorado's Thirteeners." It is a class 2+ scramble over a 13,300 unnamed summit, the 13,577-foot Mount Evans B, and Dyer Mountain's north ridge to its summit. The 6.4 mile round-trip hike has only 1,629 feet elevation gain, even with the three summits, and you are above treeline the whole way. Trip Report detailing ridge between Evans B and Mount Dyer.

Other Information

Photo by jjust / submitted by IdahoSummits.
Red Tape:
There are currently no special requirements for access to this area.

When to Climb:
Because of the accessible trailheads, this mountain can be climbed year-round. Obviously, summer months will provide the easiest hiking, but also the biggest crowds. Try to go on a weekday, and as always, START EARLY! During winter months beware of avalanche danger, and always go to the mountains prepared!

Current Weather:
Click Here for current weather and a 7-day forecast for Dyer Mountain.

Page Information:
Note: This page was created and formerly maintained by SP member pphlux.

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mosquito RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Contiguous US Highest 150Mountains & Rocks