Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.85540°N / 9.18960°E
Additional Information Elevation: 3772 ft / 1150 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Monte Biancu photo_id=92037

Monte Biancu is a three summit mountain in the north of Sardinia / Sardegna belonging to the Monte Limbara Massif. The latter is the third highest mountain range (1362m, after Gennargentu and Supramonte) of the island and consists of an impressive assortment of granite domes. Monte Biancu is not the highest summit - this honor goes to Punta Balestreri - but it covers the largest area. Moreover Punta Balestreri is covered with radar, radio and TV towers so that you won't find any pictures of it here on SP. I always stopped taking my panorama pictures before the towers came in sight.

As said above Monte Biancu is composed of three summits which are connected at the base by massive boulders, also very smooth on the surface. Two of the summits (west and main) are clearly visible from afar while the third (south) is hidden in the valley of Riu Littaghiesu and can be seen only from the tops of the several passes that connect between the Limbara Domes. All three summits are formed like domes, only the main summit shows a vertical east face. This east face shows some very interesting lines, almost looking like the symbols cavemen engraved there ages ago (they have been caused naturally, though).

Speaking of caves, there are quite a large numbers of "grotte" on the southern side of the mountain - caves beneath the large boulders that cover the area and which have been walled off to form "rooms". These caves have been used by the local sheperds for centuries and can serve as overnight accommodation. There are a number of founts in the area - all quite near to these caves.

Access to Monte Biancu is rather easy - there are several trails, some of them forest roads, which can take you there. If you want to climb it, however, you are in for a difficult climb along smooth and vertical granite walls.

I have tried to obtain information on climbing any of the crags of the Monte Limbara range but so far have not been able to find any. Maybe this is due to the fact that part of the mountain group is fenced off restricted area - probably because of the radar installations. As can bee seen from the following climbing pages it is possible to climb on Monte Limbara, even in the fenced off area.


Monte BiancuMonte Lisgiu

Interactive Map of the whole Monte Limbara range. The summits, which already have been posted to SP are marked in red. The Domeland Region is the range between Monte Lisgiu and Punta Balestreri.

Getting There


Sardinia can be reached either by plane or by ferry. The main ports are Porto Torres and Olbia in the north and Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. Airports are at Alghero and Olbia in the north as well as (again) Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. For exploring the northeastern part of the island where most of the mountains are the best entry point is Olbia, which is where most flights go anyway.

Approaching the mountain from Olbia airport
Get on motorway SS131 north around the city of Olbia on the western side. At the intersection with SS127 turn west into direction Telti. Shortly before you reach Telti, SS127 turns right sharply and heads through the town. At km 30 - shortly before you reach a former train station in a road pass - there is a parking place on the left hand side.

After parking your car there follow a dirt road west always keeping to the right. After half an hour you will reach a pass from where you will be able to see Monte Biancu in front of you. Follow the trail, which more or less heads directly towards the mountain. The trail turns south before you reach the mountain and winds toward Passo di li Conchi on the eastern base of Monte Biancu.

Capo d'OrsaPunta CugnanaMonte LimbaraPunta MaggioreCala LunaPunta GiradiliMonte AlboSupramonteGennargentuCodula della LunaBaccu Maore

Interactive map of Sardinia and its mountain regions. Click on the regions, red triangles (mountains) or stars (gorges).

Red Tape


No red tape to be found regarding Monte Biancu. Part of the other summits of the Monte Limbara Massif are fenced off - military installations and/or natural preservation on and around Punta Balestreri are the probable reasons.

When To Climb


The mountain can be climbed all year round. Obviously weather is worse during the winter months but there won't be much snowfall there. Best seasons are spring and autumn, summer being very hot.

Accommodation


Accommodation...
...is rather easy to find. Since all the interesting mountainous regions are on the north and east coast - which is where the largest beaches are - you can book hotel rooms and apartments from any tourist office. The region around Olbia or Tempio in the north should be the best staying places since they are rather central to most of the interesting locations.

Camping...
... is also easy to find in the vicinity of the beaches. Look for locations, using www.sardegna.com. Here go for the link north eastern area. Free camping is probably no good idea on Monte Limbara but you can use the caves on the base of Monte Biancu for overnight accommodation

Weather Conditions


Go for the following link, which is in Italian but with ALL the information you might want to have on weather on the island:

www.sar.sardegna.it.

Head for the "meteo" button and then on the "Bollettino dettagliato" link in the left frame.

Maps 'n' Books


As for Maps I used only a road map scale 1:200000 since the guidebook I used has maps and is really quite good. Don't be fooled by the durations they state, you'll be much faster but the "getting there's" and "route description's" are very good.

The book is:
Sardinia (Sardegna / Sardinien)
M. Omidvar
Rother Verlag
ISBN: 3-7633-4800-X (English)
ISBN: 3-7633-4143-9 (Italian)
ISBN: 3-7633-4023-8 (German)



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monte LimbaraMountains & Rocks