Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.82140°N / 113.6835°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 8770 ft / 2673 m
Sign the Climber's Log
An Inviting Route up HenkelMount Henkle from the south. Photo by saintgrizzly

Mount Henkel from the north.From the north.

Overview

A somewhat unusual view of...Setting from the south



Mt Henkel rises directly above and to the north of the main Many Glacier developed area. Not particularly difficult, it is a good early season climb that offers some of the most spectacular views anywhere in Glacier Park. Once on the summit, you can traverse to Apikuni Peak or to Crowfeet Mountain

Mount Henkel is named for an early day settler on Lower St. Mary Lake, locally called "Joe Butch."

For this and other interesting historical information, visit Glacier History.

Getting There

Up and Up and UpJust above the trail on the south side.

Mount Henkel is located in the Many Glacier area of Glacier National Park in northwestern Montana. Access is through the Many Glacier Entrance on the east side of the Park.

See maps

Park Map

Many Glacier Area

The road is not maintained for winter travel, but is usually open quite early in the spring.

The road status can be checked at: Park Road Info

The mountain is approached from the trail to Iceberg Lake, which has trailheads at the Swiftcurrent Campground and at the Many Glacier Hotel.

Routes Overview

Mount Henkel South Couloir RouteSouth Couloir Route




GUIDEBOOK: A CLIMBER'S GUIDE TO GLACIER NATIONAL PARK; J. Gordon Edwards

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

Because of the nature of the rock, there are special considerations regarding climbing in Glacier National Park, and grading systems unique to the Park have been developed.

Please see GNP Rock & Grading Systems for further details.






ROUTES:

South Couloir Route – Class 2 & 3 with 4,000 feet of elevation gain. This is the route described in the Edwards guidebook.

South Ridge Route – Class 2 & 3 with 4,000 feet of elevation gain. Starts at the same place as the South Couloir Route, but climbs the ridge the entire way rather than entering the couloir.

Northwest Ridge Route – Class 2 from the notch between Mount Henkel and Crowfeet Mountain. Part of the traverse between the two peaks regardless of the direction in which it is done.
Crowfeet MountainCrowfeet Mountain from Mount Henkel

Traverse Possibilities:

From the summit of Mount Henkel, it is about one mile to the summit of Apikuni Mountain to the east. There is a short class 4 couloir on the descent to the Henkel – Apikuni saddle. The rest of the route is class 2 & 3. There is about a 1,000 foot elevation gain from the saddle to the summit of Apikuni Mountain.

It is also about one mile to the summit of Crowfeet Mountain to the north. The traverse north is class 2 until the final summit cliffs of Crowfeet are reached. These short cliffs are class 3 or 4 depending on where climbed. There is just over a 1,000 foot elevation gain from the saddle between Mount Henkel and Crowfeet Mountain to the summit of Crowfeet.

Crowfeet - Henkel - Apikuni Traverse

When To Climb

ridge connecting Mount Henkel and Apikuni MountainApikuni from Henkel

From late June/early July to early fall, depending on snow conditions.

Red Tape

Current Entrance Fees

Registration for day climbs in Glacier National Park is recommended, but not mandatory.

Outdoor Activity Page Includes links to boating, bicycling, fishing, etc. and the regulations applying to each.

Camping

Crowfeet Mountain to the EastFrom the north with Kennedy Lake

There are numerous campgrounds available within Glacier National Park:

Backcountry Camping Page Includes trail status reports, campground availability, daily backcountry bulletins, and a backcountry blog.

Car Camping Page

There are also many campgrounds just outside the Park on both the west and east sides.

Camping on the Blackfeet Reservation is restricted to established campgrounds only.


Mountain Conditions

Mount Henkel South Couloir RouteNear summit in spring

Weather Page an overview with a link to the local forecast.

Webcam Page

External Links

Glacier National Park Homepage

Glacier Mountaineering Society

Non-government Glacier National Park Information

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.