Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.60900°N / 111.741°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9524 ft / 2903 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Storm Mountain is an often overlooked peak that lies on the western end of the Cottonwood Ridge. Rising nearly 5,000 feet directly out of the valley, any approach requires significant elevation gain, and the blocky summit provides some interesting scrambling opportunities.

The NE Face is an impressive wall of granite, composed of many large extruded blocks, leaving the occasional large ledge, but beyond that it is mostly face climbing and cracks. It is often overlooked as it is hidden within Stairs Gulch and hard to see from most angles.

ROUTES OVERVIEW
Route Name Difficulty Elevation Gain Photos Notes
Ferguson Canyon</a cl. 2-3 TBA   This is the easiest route up the peak and is mostly on trail.
Storm Mountain/BF Twins Traverse cl. 3 TBA (1), (2) This route begins at either summit
North Ridge cl. 4 TBA (1) This route begins just before the Storm Mountain Picnic Ground and is composed of many blocky ledges
Stairs Gulch cl. 3, Steep Snow TBA (1), (2), (3) A very steep route & also very dangerous - approach only when snow conditions are optimal. Helmets recommended for any time of year.
NE Face 5.6? AI2-3? III-IV? TBA (1), (2) A +2,000 ft mixed climb that rarely has enough snow to form, but still a classic.
NW Face ?? TBA (1) No known beta, but looks interesting. Perhaps a route linking many couloirs, broken up w/ short cliffs
Birches Canyon cl. 2-3? TBA   Leaves from the Dogwood Picnic Area, all X-country
The NE Face appears to have some good routes, but I have never found any info in possible lines (although this isn't uncommon for alpine routes in the Wasatch!). This is the same reason for the difficulty uncertainty for some of the routes that I do know the lines for but haven't climbed

 

Getting There


There are two main ways that this peak is climbed:

Ferguson Canyon Trailhead: From Wasatch Boulevard, turn left at the 4-way intersection with Bengal Boulevard. Turn left on 3775 E (first left on the road), and then turn right on Timberline Circle. The trailhead begins at a dirt road. There are some signs for the trailhead that are easy to see. Park anywhere along the residential streets.

Stairs Gulch Trailhead: Drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Soon after two sharp curves in the road about 2 miles up the canyon, there will be a pull off on the right side of the road. This pull off is the second to last one before the road cuts through some rocks on the south side of the small reservoir that is next to the Storm Mountain picnic ground.

Red Tape

Ferguson Canyon and Stairs Gulch lie in the Broad Fork Twin Peaks Wilderness area, so limit party sizes to 10 people or less and practice Leave No Trace ethics. No permits or fees are required to reach either trailhead or the summit.

 

When To Climb

May through October are the best months. Ferguson canyon has lots of underbrush that may be difficult to navigate in snow conditions, and Stairs Gulch is the most avalanche prone canyon in the entire Wasatch Range.

Camping

Camping is allowed if done at least 100 ft away from trails, lakes, and streams and as long as Leave No Trace ethics are praticed.

 

Mountain Conditions

Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Utah Avalanche Center

The Avalanche Center

Wasatch Mountain Club

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.