Mount Majestic (Clayton Peak)

Mount Majestic (Clayton Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59070°N / 111.5602°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10721 ft / 3268 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This peak goes by both names. On some maps it is labeled as Mount Majestic, in others as Clayton Peak. It is the large peak dominating the north side of Brighton Ski Resort. The the summit provides a birds-eye view of the area above Park City, the Heber Valley, Mt Timpanogos, and the upper Big Cottonwood Canyon and LittleCottonwood Canyon areas. No trails lead north or east from the summit, but there is opportunity for off-trail exploration. The land between here and Guardsman Pass is private, and to the east there is a mix of private and Wasatch Mountain State Park lands.
Quite often hikers will include this peak in the Brighton Ridge Run Route, although that route officially begins at the Snake Creek Pass. The Wastach Mountain club has placed a mailbox register on the summit.

Getting There


Driving time from downtown Salt Lake City is approximately 50 minutes.
From I-15 southbound near downtown Salt Lake City, follow these directions
I-15 S toward LAS VEGAS/CHEYENNE. 8.3 miles
Take the I-215 exit- exit number 302- toward BELT ROUTE. 0.2 miles
Merge onto I-215 E via the exit- on the left- toward SKI AREAS. 5.1 miles
Take the 6200 SO. exit- exit number 6- toward SKI AREAS/SOLITUDE / BRIGHTON/SNOWBIRD / ALTA. 0.2 miles
Take the ramp toward SKI AREAS/SOLITUDE / BRIGHTON/SNOWBIRD / ALTA. 0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto UT-190 E/E 6200 S. Continue to follow UT-190 E. 1.6 miles
Turn LEFT onto E BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON RD/UT-190. 14.0 miles
End at Brighton UT


Drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon to Brighton Ski Resort. Park in the ski resort parking lot and begin hiking from the main lodge.

Drive up Big Cottonwod Canyon to Brighton Ski Resort. Park in the ski resort parking lot and begin hiking from the main lodge.



Red Tape


None. Big Cottonwood Canyon occasionally closes due to avalanche dangers, but this is only during and immediately following some large snow storms

When To Climb


This peak is nice to climb year round. It is well shaded most of the way to the top. In the summer wildflowers make the hike enjoyable. Winter ascents may be less enjoyable since you would be climbing the peak with the knowledge that skiers are riding the Great Western ski lift nearly to the summit.

Camping


There are many walk-in campgrounds in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Alternatively, free camping is permitted in the nearby Mt Olympus, Broads Fork Twin Peaks, or Lone Peak Wilderness areas as long as it is done at least 100 ft away from trails.



Mountain Conditions


Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Brighton Ski Resort

Utah Avalanche Center

The Avalanche Center

Wasatch Mountain Club





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.