Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.78100°N / 113.866°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10985 ft / 3348 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Lem peak is a remote peak in the northern Lemhi Range in Idaho. It is the highest point in the northern Lemhi’s at just shy of 11,000 ft. It has 4 climbable ridges that lead to its summit. None of these ridges required technical climbing equipment. Northwest Ridge, Northeast Ridge, Southeast Ridge, Southwest Ridge.

Getting There


The primary access to this peak is from the East side. The access road is Hayden creek road which is approx 27 miles south of the town of Salmon on ID 28. Turn west onto Hayden creek road which is paved for about 3.5 miles. At this point you reach the basin creek intersection, the road turns to gravel, and you go left. The road gradually narrows, and at 8 miles you enter the Salmon Challis National Forest. Just beyond the forest boundary you reach another fork, where you go right. A sign will indicate that you are heading towards Bear Valley lake Trail. Stay on this road until it ends at a well developed trailhead. You will pass a trailhead for pack and saddle horses at around 12.5 miles. Just past 13 miles you will hit the hiker’s trailhead.

Red Tape


No parking fees, no permits required

When To Climb


Standard Idaho Climbing Season – July through September. I would doubt if this road is kept clear in winter.

Camping


Trailhead: Camping available at the trailhead. There is a bathroom, as well as a pump well. The water is drinkable, but comes out a rust color, and has a metal smell/taste. Elevation: 6,800 ft.

Buck Lakes: Primitive camping is available – no permits required. Elevation Range: ~ 8000 – 9000 ft.

Bear Valley Lakes: Primitive camping is available – no permits required.

Mountain Conditions


Salmon-challis National Forest

Leadore Ranger District
176 North Railroad Street
P O Box 180
Leadore, Idaho 83464
Phone: 208-768-2500
FAX: 208-768-2502
Hours:
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lemhi RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks