Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.61460°N / 113.7681°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 9258 ft / 2822 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Gunsight Mountain and Sperry Glacier <br>from the north Gunsight Mountain and Sperry Glacier from the north.

 

Sperry Glacier, Gunsight Mtn, Edwards Mtn. Setting / from the north

Overview

The beautiful, serpentine,... From Reynolds Mountain

Gunsight Mountain is a large double summited peak located immediately south of Sperry Glacier in Glacier National Park. The western, more rocky summit is the higher of the two. Views from the summit are especially nice to the north and northeast with most of the peaks in those directions visible. Views to the east are dominated and blocked by Mount Jackson. Sperry Glacier is one of the largest glaciers in the park and is a very popular hiking destination. Gunsight was first climbed by Dr. Lyman Sperry and party in 1905. On a good day, Gunsight Mountain can be seen near the center of the Lake McDonald Web Cam. For peak names, see This Photo

Getting There

Approach to Sperry Glacier Approach from the west.

Glacier National Park is located in northwestern Montana. Going-to-the-Sun Road is the main scenic route through the Park. It is not kept open during the winter. Closing in the fall and opening in the spring depends on snow depth and conditions. Opening of Logan Pass can be as late as July, but the road is opened in stages and is usually open to the end of Lake McDonald quite early.  

The hike up to the Sperry... Along the trail.

Current Road Status Routes on Gunsight Mountain are approached via the Sperry Glacier Trail, which starts near the Lake McDonald Lodge. Lake McDonald Area Map & Trail Descriptions

Routes Overview

GUIDEBOOK: A CLIMBER'S GUIDE TO GLACIER NATIONAL PARK; J. Gordon Edwards SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS: Because of the nature of the rock, there are special considerations regarding climbing in Glacier National Park, and grading systems unique to the Park have been developed. Please see this Fact Sheet for further details: GNP Rock & Grading Systems All three established routes are approached via the Sperry Glacier Trail. They can be climbed in a long day from the trailhead, but far more leisurely with a camp near Sperry Chalet. It is 9.8 miles with about 5,000 feet of elevation gain from the trailhead to the glacier. From the end of the trail to the summit is about another mile and just over 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Northwest Ridge This ridge starts just above the stairway at end of the trail and consists of a series of rotten cliffs most of which can be bypassed. But at least one must be climbed. The most difficult class 5 section is best climbed on the eastern side of the ridge. West Face One climbs the Northwest Ridge to the base of the class 5 cliff, then traverses about half way across the west face where an easy couloir leads to the summit ridge which involves some class 3 and 4 climbing. Northeast Slope From the end of the trail at the edge of the glacier, one can make their way up the peak via either easy snow slopes (ice axe & crampons) or class 2 and 3 rock bands and talus. Early in the season, snow travel will be required.

 
Gunsight Mountain, NE Slope On the NE Slope. View to the East.
 
Gunsight Mountain, NE Slope On the NE Slope.
 
Gunsight Mountain, NE Slope Route. Near the Summit.

 

Sperry Glacier

 
Gunsight Mountain and the Sperry Glacier Basin from the north From the north.
 
Sperry Glacier Close up from the north.
 
Sperry Glacier, Gunsight Mtn Center Summit. On the glacier.

 

Sperry Glacier Trail. The last bit of trail to the glacier from the west.

 

Red Tape

Current Entrance Fees Registration for day climbs in Glacier National Park is recommended, but not mandatory. Outdoor Activity Page Includes links to boating, bicycling, fishing, etc. and the regulations applying to each.

When To Climb

June, July, August, September, and even into October depending on the amount of snow and the road closures.

Camping

Mountain Goat Wildlife

There are numerous campgrounds available within Glacier National Park: Backcountry Camping Page Includes trail status reports, campground availability, daily backcountry bulletins, and a backcountry blog. Car Camping Page There are also many campgrounds just outside the Park on both the west and east sides. Camping on the Blackfeet Reservation is restricted to established campgrounds only.  

The Sperry Chalet,... Sperry Chalet

If planning to stay overnight nearer the mountain, the Sperry Backcountry Campground is located near Sperry Chalet. It only has four sites, two of which may be reserved. One can also stay at Sperry Chalet. Probably a bit pricey for most climber types.

Mountain Conditions

Weather Page an overview with a link to the local forecast. Webcam Page

External Links

Glacier National Park Homepage Glacier Mountaineering Society Non-government Glacier National Park Information



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.