Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.81200°N / 107.828°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13738 ft / 4187 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pilot KnobPilot Knob in spring conditions.

Pilot Knob joins an impressive line up of peaks accessible from Ice Lake Basin. Perhaps Pilot Knob is the least climbed summit of this group. As one of Colorado’s highest 200 peaks, the mountain gets some attention, but it is known for its rugged reputation and challenging route. It is ranked 131, tied in elevation with Argentine Peak and one of the Grizzly Peaks. The mountain’s summit ridge is one long ridge of volcanic pinnacles.

Located west of Silverton, Pilot Knob gets to spend its time in one of the most impressive locations in Colorado, Ice Lake Basin. There is water everywhere and as a result the display of wildflowers is incredible. Entire hillsides are carpeted with flowers that stand as tall as your waist. The flowers seem to grow in patches, first you will pass through hundreds of yards of Larkspur and then yellow Indian Paintbrush followed by huge patches of Columbine. The native grasses are so green it almost hurts your eyes.

The basin is surrounded by the most incredible display of jagged peaks. The entire area is overwhelming. It would be very easy to spend a week here exploring all areas of the upper and lower basin and the mountains that surround it. There are ample camping spots in the protected lower basin as well as in the upper basin. Great care should be taken and all Leave No Trace principles should be strictly followed.

Pilot Knob is located within a cluster of five high thirteeners that offer a variety of climbing possibilities around Ice Lake Basin. Fuller Peak (13,761 feet), Vermillion Peak (13,894 feet), and Golden Horn (13,780 feet) are all day-hike summits that aren't too difficult. Pilot Knob (13,738 feet) and U.S. Grant Peak (13,767 feet) are more technical climbs for experienced summiteers only.

The San Juan Outdoor School rates Pilot Knob as a technical climb. The majority of the climb on this mountain is class 2 at best. There are 2 sections of the mountain that give the mountain its tougher rating. There is a class 3 couloir on the west side of the summit ridge. This couloir is probably the easiest way to gain the ridge to the summit. The summit ridge itself is rated class 4. There is extreme exposure and very loose San Juan rock, which makes the traverse treacherous. All but the hardy climber will want to rope up for this 200 foot section of the route.

From the east, Pilot Knob looks unclimable which adds to its mystery and allure.

The view from the top of this peak is extensive. The Wilson Massif to the west, Sneffles north, Potosi, Courthouse, Red Cliff, Coxcomb, Redcloud, Sunshine, Handies, the Needles are just some of the impressive peaks you can view.

Getting There

To get to Ice Lake Basin, where Pilot Knob is located, from Ouray, drive over Red Mountain Pass on Highway 550. Measure from the top of the pass 7.8 miles. If approaching from Silverton, measure from the junction of Colorado 110 and 550 south of town and go west 2 miles on 550. A National Forest access sign for Mineral Creek Road is the turn-out you are seeking on the south side of the highway.

Go west on this road, San Juan County 7, 4 miles, bypassing camps along the way. The road to the right takes you up a jeep road to Clear Lake. This road is probably passable with cars that have a little bit larger clearance than an average passenger car but 4WD is not necessarily required. It is not a particularly rough or steep road.

This road, according to Gerry Roach's "Colorado's Thirteeners," gains access to an unmarked trail further up that joins this route. You should park at the first switchback about 1 mile to the northwest. There is parking at that switchback for approx 4-5 vehicles. By starting your hike here, you will save approximately 540 vertical feet and 1.8 miles. The unmarked trail on the west side of the switchback joins up with the main trail very quickly after crossing the waterfall that runs across the trail.

If driving up the Clear Lake road is not an option, continue on the main road to the left.

Almost ½ a mile beyond the Clear Creek road, Mineral Creek Road crosses Clear Creek. If you cross the creek (a large culvert is under the road), you've gone too far. The Ice Lake Basin trail starts just before the crossing. Park in this vicinity. There is a large parking area and an outhouse.

Red Tape

Red Tape: No fees or permits required

Ice Lake Basin is an unprotected area of the Uncompahgre National Forest, although many people think it should be. Yet, it has all the characteristics of a premiere wilderness area, so observe all wilderness protocols. Ice Lake Basin is a major watershed. Please guard the water quality and camp as far as feasible from water sources, observing wilderness camping protocols.

Island Lake & U.S. Grant Peak, Ice Lake Basin, San Juan Mountains, Colorado
Photo by Ellen Ritt


When To Climb

Climbing Pilot Knob, West Couloir Route
Photo by Ellen Ritt

Pilot Knob is most often climbed July through September during dry conditions. However, if you are confident on snow consider May or early June ascent while all that nasty scree and loose rock is buried. In exceptional conditions Pilot Knob can even be climbed in winter.

Ice Lake Basin is a massive snow shed. The lower basin melts out first, while the upper basin retains great amounts of snow well into July in normal to heavy years of snowpack. The upper basin is routinely buried through June. Skis or snow shoes may be necessary. Ascending Pilot Knob would require technical gear, and an ice axe is a good idea for the ridge approach and the mountain itself.

For winter and spring ascents, the best approach is from the west via Poverty Gulch. However do NOT use this option when there is no snow!

Do not attempt in questionable weather. Running from a San Juan thunderstorm across the vast expanse of Ice Lake Basin is something you do not want to experience. Approach with caution in the winter as well. Retreat into the lower basin in white out conditions could be a real adventure. Be mindful of the weather, which generally travels west to east, and know that in most cases, you won't see it coming since the mountains block your western view. A common San Juan trap is to climb a steep mountain, only to discover a black thunderhead on the other side just waiting for you to show up.

Camping

Camping possibilities are endless. Camping near the trailhead on the west side of Clear Creek, south of the road, is very good. Mineral Creek Campground, a fee site, is nice for vehicles and RVs. Camping in lower Ice Lake Basin is exemplary, particularly on the west side near some gorgeous and unusual waterfalls (see lower Ice Lake Basin section). Alpine camping in upper Ice Lake Basin is among the best in the San Juans. This is a high alpine environment. Severe weather can turn a glorious campsite into a nightmarish experience. Take appropriate gear and tent suitable for alpine use, or be prepared to retreat to the lower basin.

The higher you can manage to camp, the more time you will have to explore this vast wilderness and take your time on the peak.

Mountain Conditions

Uncompahgre National Forest
2250 Hwy 50
Delta, Co. 81416
970-874-6600

San Juan National Forest
15 Bunett Ct.
Durango, Co. 81301
970-247-484
970-385-1243 FAX

COLORADO STATE PATROL ROAD CONDITIONS STATEWIDE
303-639-1111

Miscellaneous Info

Some text by Aaron Johnson, sourced and edited from here.

If you have information about this mountain that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
nader

nader - Jun 3, 2016 11:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Not Yellow Mountain

The picture on top of the page says: Pilot Knob (left) & Yellow Mountain (right) from upper Ice Lake Basin. Yellow Mountain can not be seen from Ice Lake Basin. The peak on the right has to be Peak 13333 ft. Please double check.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
San Juan Range Highest 50Mountains & Rocks