Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75520°N / 121.7129°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6524 ft / 1989 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Foss Peak is a peak in the Tatoosh Range just southeast of Paradise in Mt. Rainier National Park. For reasons unknown, it is unnamed on most maps, including the National Geographic Mt. Rainier National Park map and the Green Trails topos--this despite its comparable height (6,524 ft) to adjacent climbs such as The Castle and Pinnacle, Plummer and Unicorn Peaks.

Judging from the wear of the ridge path leading to Foss Peak, it is probably climbed fairly often in the summer, especially by those doing the Tatoosh Traverse.

The route to the summit from the Snow Lake Trail and the valley West of Unicorn Peak is challenging hiking due to a steep climb up the gulley from Snow Lake and the large talus field leading up to the ridge. Once on the ridge it is a pretty straightfoward climb to Foss Peak and some easy 2nd and 3rd class climbing to the summit.

Getting There


From the Nisqually entrance head towards Paradise, then take the Stevens Canyon Road. Drive just past Louise Lake to a small parking lot on the right-hand side of the road. The trailhead is located at the southern end of the parking lot.

Red Tape


The Stevens Canyon Road closes in winter, but is accessible by ski or snowshoe, usually via a track leaving from Narada Falls .

When To Climb


All year round. With its immense valley, this area would be amazing in winter.

Camping


Limited camping is available in this area, although a backcountry permit is required; these are available at both Paradise and Longmire. The camping zone is a bit funky and prohibitive due to habitat rehabilitation efforts in the area.

Mountain Conditions


For backcountry permits, call Mt. Rainier National Park at 360-569-HIKE (4453).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
wildstar

wildstar - Nov 7, 2004 10:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Here is a web cam and conditions page for Mt. Rainier.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.