Klifatindur

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 64.28330°N / 15.0167°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2919 ft / 890 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A few kilometers east of the town of Höfn, on the coast of southeastern Iceland, lie a series of steep, cliffy peaks that appear to jut up out of the ocean. While they are not very high by world mountain standards, they are dramatically steep and knife-edged. They won't make a list of highest peaks in Iceland but they are commonly photographed and in most every tour or guidebook about the country.

Eight of these mountains jut out on a small peninsula (well, ok, they ARE the peninsula) and the highest of these is Klifatindur. The Ring Road goes over a pass at the head of the peninsula so you can get to within about 2 kilometers of the summit and there is a convenient viewpoint with a small parking lot to park at. The route up from there would be a solid Class 3 on the summit ridge.

The climb itself should not take too long but it's steep and it's on mostly loose talus until you get to the ridge. The views are excellent though a you look down on some jagged peaks and the ocean. Höfn (the name means "harbor") is just to the west and is easily seen protected from the ocean by two spits of land. Beyond Höfn to the west (and above it) lies the Vatnajökull, the largest glacier in Iceland crowned by Hvannadalshnukur, the highest peak in Iceland. To the north are more jagged mountains and to the east is a calm lagoon, filled in the summer with large numbers of swans.

It is not known if this is a popular climb but there is a small cairn at the summit so at least a few hearty souls scale it. Besides the route submitted from the west, it does appear to be scrambleable from the beach to the south which might make a great day in itself.

Excellent overall shot of the peak from Höfn

Another shot of Klifatindur although you need to scroll to the specific one of this peak

Getting There

Getting to Iceland involves flying Icelandair. All international flights fly into Keflavik Airport which is out 40 kms. west of Reykjavik on the Reykjanes Peninsula. From there you can rent a 4WD at one of the usual companies (Budget, Avis, Hertz, etc.).

For information on how/where to get supplies, please refer to the Getting There section of the Hekla page. The town of Höfn has a market/mall where you could get food and fuel as well.

From Reykjavik, take the Ring Road (Highway 1) east about 450 kilometers to Höfn. Just a few kilometers east of Höfn you will go up over an obvious pass and at the summit of the pass on the right side of the road is a small parking area with a viewpoint and marker. Park here.

Red Tape

There is no red tape or fees/permits required. Keep in mind though that the surrounding lowlands are small farms and private property. Please do not trespass. Also, expect to see sheep on and around the mountain as this is open range area.

When To Climb

Best times would be summer months July - September but this could conceivably be done year-round.

Camping

Camping should not be necessary on this peak. It is a dayhike and the surrounding areas, if not parts of the mountain are private property.

There is good lodging in Höfn. I can recommend the Foss Vatnajokull as I stayed there. No tv's in the rooms though but an excellent restaurant.

General camping site for Iceland

Höfn campsite link

Mountain Conditions

Link for Road Conditions

Link for weather in Iceland

Höfn Tourist Information
Hafnarbraut 25
Höfn
354 (country code, not needed while there) 478-1500

I told you it was photographed alot

I told you it was photographed alot

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Sep 14, 2013 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Tunnel

"Just a few kilometers east of Höfn you will go up over an obvious pass and at the summit of the pass on the right side of the road is a small parking area with a viewpoint and marker. Park here." This pass has been eliminated with a tunnel. When we went through in Sept. 2013, the gravel road leading to the pass on the west side was closed to vehicle traffic. I was not able to observe the road to the pass on the east side, so I don't know if it is also closed. So, you should be prepared for some additional hiking and vertical on the approach.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 22, 2013 2:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tunnel

Thanks very much for the updated info, Fred.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.