Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.68600°N / 13.14670°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7778 ft / 2371 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's New On This Page?

> Jan 23rd, 2019: Design corrections.
> Jan 1st, 2005: Webcam link inserted.
> Aug 20th, 2004: Initial page setup.

Overview

Reisskofel from Polinik
Reisskofel above the valley of Gail/Zilja
Reisskofel
Reisskofel

Reisskofel is the most beautiful mountain in Gailtal Alps, Southern Limestone Alps, and is well worth visiting. The western part of Hailtal Alps is a fascinating subgroup of Lienzer Dolomites. More towards the east, a single mountain crest is formed, where Reisskofel is the most outstanding summit. And again towards the east more lower summits are arranged in some parallel crests, finally finishing above Villach town with the broad Dobratsch.

Reisskofel is unique because of its position. Surrounded by much lower mountains on the east and west, being built of steep rocky walls, it's a distinctive figure, despite it's relatively low altitude. But also the altitude itself is considerable - the mountain still rises more than 1700 meters above the Gail (we, Slovene people call it Zilja) river and the same 1700 meters above the Drau (Drava) river.

Reisskofel, seen from west,...
Reisskofel, seen from west,...

The mountain itself is actually a long ridge, stretching from Jaukensattel, 1615 m, on the western side, to its tail on eastern side, sinking in the woods around Kreuzberg pass, 1074 m. Besides the highest point in this ridge there are some more relatively unimportant points, like Kleines Reisskofel, 2148 m, Dristallkofel, 2094 m, Sattelnock, 2033 m etc. South of the summit there's a nice and broad alpine pasture, called Jochalm, 1554 m. It is opened and sunny, offering great views along and across the Gail valley.

Both northern and southern face of Reisskofel are rocky. On the southern face one can find impressive rocks intermitted with grassy slopes, while on the northern face there's almost only rocks, and in one broad ravine also long into summer a small snowfield. Although marked paths lead to the summit from three sides, ascending Reisskofel is not just an easy hike. But due to many forrest roads, reaching higher slopes of the mountain, the ascents are not long - they can be done in less than 3 hours. Being a highly desirable goal in the mountain neighbourhood, the summit is frequently ascended. The view from the summit is also very rewarding.

The first ascent on Reisskofel was done in 1848 by Johann Festin von Wald (Walden Hans) from Reisach. The famous paul Grohmann ascended it in 1855. The first crossing was done only in 1919 by H. Koban and E. Pichl, later that route was secured for public visit.

Summit View (Pictures)

Getting There

From the east you can reach Drau and Gail valley from Villach. The trailheads from Drau valley can be also reached from the west - you drive along the river from Lienz. Coming into Gail valley from the west (for example from Italy) is more inconvenient - you must drive from Silian over Kartitsch saddle and by the winding road down to Gail valley. Gail valley can also be reached from Italy - over the main crest of Carnia Alps. There are two passes: Ploecken Pass / Passo di Monte Croce Carnico and Nassfeld Pass / Passo Pramolo.

  • The northern approaches start in Drau valley in towns: Greifenburg (or Bruggen, across the river) and Feistritz. I have no information how high can you drive by forrest roads (probably to Compton Huette, 1585 m).
  • The southern approaches start in Reisach and Grafendorf. From Reisach you can drive up to Jochalm, 1554 m.

Routes Overview

See full screen

There are four marked paths/routes. See them in detail on the map left!

  1. From the south. Jochalm road, 1492 m - Alpelspitz, 1959 m - Toerl (in the east ridge), 2019 m - summit. From Alpelspitz you can climb also directly up and reach the eastern ridge very close to the summit.
  2. From the north. Compton Huette, 1585 m (on the web: 1650 m) - Toerl (in the eastern ridge), 2019 m - summit. 3 h 15 min.
  3. From the west. Jaukensattel, 1615 m - Reisskofelbiwak, 1799 m - west ridge ferratta - summit.
  4. Toerl in the eastern ridge can also be reached from the east. A marked path follows the whole eastern 'tail' of Reisskofel over Kumitsch, 1734 m, Sattelnock, 2033 m and Dristallkofel, 2094 m.

Red Tape

No limitations.

When To Climb

Summer and autumn, when rocks are snow-free. A winter climb could be much harder. Current weather condition shows this webcam.

Camping

Climbs on Reisskofel are supported by two nearby huts and one bivouac:

  1. E.T. Compton Huette, 1650 m. Open from end May to end September. 7+13 beds. Tel.: 04712/82036. In valley: 0664/2067672. From Drau valley or from Weissensee - 4 hours walk.
  2. Jochalm. On this nice alpine pasture there's also a hut, but I couldn't find information how it is open.
  3. Reisskofelbiwak, 1799 m. 5 places. Open in summer and winter. Tel.: 04718/338. From Reisskofelbad (from south) 1 h 30 min walk.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gailtal AlpsMountains & Rocks