Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.83920°N / 13.10500°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8862 ft / 2701 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Kreuzeck is the main mountain of the Kreuzeckgroup witch is situated in the south of the Hohe Tauern area. It's summit lays in the centre of the group, that's the reason way the group is called to this mountain because it isn't the highest peak of the group. Polinik 2784m and Hochkreuz 2708m are the highest.
The mountain is most climbed by trekkers, while they are trekking throug the Kreuzeckgroup. The reasson is the hut on the feet of the mountain, the Feldnerhütte is situated in the hart of the group and every trekker spends at least one night there. From that hut it isn't a long climb, within 2 hours can you reach the summit if you start there. The trekking-route Feldnerhütte/Polinikhütte goes over Kreuzeck and Polinik, but that's a quiet demanding and long walk. Most people who want to climb the Kreuzeck go from Greifenburg to Feldnerhütte on the first day, and on the second they go to the summit and the whole way back down. Greifenburg is situated on +/- 600m and the Feldnerhütte is situated at 2182 meter.
From Greifenburg untill Feldnerhütte the route is an easy but long walk. From there goes the route till the summit over steep rock.
The Kreuzeck is a moutain witch is most climbed between june and halfway septembre cause then is the hut open, and can people get a warm diner there. In winter it's closed.

The route of both days is verygood marked. But ofcourse is the second day much more demanding as the first walk-in day.

Getting There

How to get in Greifenburg :

By car :

On the highway Salzburg/Villach you have to take the exit Millstat/ Lendorf/Lienz. Then you have to drive towards Lienz on the mainway that has as route-number 100. After driving through a little tunnel it's still around 25km. You have to pass Steinfeld and Radlach. The next village is Griefenburg. It's a nice village in the centre of the Drautal.

Coming from Lienz you just have to drive towards Spittal also on the way witch has as number 100.

By Train

Take an IC train untill Spittal, From there you have to take the locale train Spittal/Lienz. There is a trainstation in the village.

Or take an IC train till Lienz and take than the locale train Lienz/Spittal.

Red Tape

no red tape

When To Climb

Normaly the mountain can only be climbed in sommer.
But as each mountain of these hight it's also possible to climb it the whole year through. But then you must have lots of experience.

Camping

* There are lots of campings in the Drautal, each village has at least one.

* The Feldnerhutte is almost like a ****hotel in the midle of a beautiful landscape. In the year 1988 is the old hut completly burnd down. 2 Years later was the new hut open. It really brandnew. The most modern hut I ever slept in !!.

Mountain Conditions

The telephone number of the Feldnerhütte (Only from june till 15 Sept.) : 0043 (0)4712/790

External Links

  • Austrian Map online
    Online digital maps of Austria (OEK 50, OEK 200 and OEK 500) by the BEV (Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen) - in German


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kreuzeck GROUPMountains & Rocks