Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76810°N / 110.8332°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12377 ft / 3773 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A-1 Peak is a 12,000 foot summit located near the western edge of the High Uintas Primitive Area of north-eastern Utah. The peak is located in the Kamas Ranger District of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest.

The summit is located approximately 1.25 miles along the ridge extending east from the summit of nearby Kletting Peak. This ridge divides Hell Hole Lake basin on the north and the Kermsuh Lake basin on the south.

A-1 Peak can be climbed either as a day hike or an enjoyable and scenic backpacking trip.

From the summit are excellent views to the south of Hayden Peak, the Kermsuh Lake basin, Bald Mountain, and the Mirror Lake area. To the east are views of numerous higher summits extending towards the center of the High Uintas. To the north area views into the Hell Hole Lake area.

With 1,117 feet of prominence, the peak ranks as #56 on the list of Utah 12,000+ foot peaks with 300+ feet of prominence, as compiled by Scott Patterson.

USGS Quads:
  • Christmas Meadow, Utah (1:24k)
  • Hayden Peak, Utah (1:24k)

    Product web site for A.1 Steak Sauce, now available in eight hearty flavors.


    Getting There

    Virtually all approaches to A-1 Peak are accessed by way of Utah State Highway 150, heading either south from Evanston, Wyoming, or north from Kamas, Utah.

    Probably the shortest and easiest route to the summit of A-1 Peak is made by first making an ascent of nearby Kletting Peak; refer to that mountain page for information on making that ascent.

    The summit of A-1 Peak can be reached by making a fairly long but easy ridge scramble east from the summit of Kletting Peak. The ridge separating these two peaks is approximately 1.25 miles in length, and consists of easy ridge walking and boulder hopping; there is no exposure and only minor scrambling involved. Refer to the West Face Direct over Kletting Peak to A-1 route for details on this approach.

    Another possible route to the summit of A-1 Peak is the south face, approached from the Kermsuh Lake area. If anyone has summited A-1 Peak from this approach please post details in the 'Routes' section.


    Red Tape

    A-1 Peak is approached by way of the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, a 42-mile section of road located between Kamas, Utah, and Evanston, Wyoming. All motor vehicles parked in this area must display a valid recreation pass. These passes may be purchased at the trailead (self-service), or at various other self-service locations along Highway 150.

    Fees are $6.00 per day, $12.00 per week, or $45.00 annually.

    When To Climb

    The normal summer hiking season in the Uintas runs from July through September, but may vary considerably depending upon the previous season snowpack and the first significant snowfall of the season.

    Camping

    Numerous campgrounds are located along nearby State Highway 150. The campgrounds nearest the summit include (from north to south):
  • Christmas Meadows
  • Hayden Fork
  • Beaver View
  • Sulphur
  • Butterfly
  • Mirror Lake
  • Moosehorn

    Suitable locations for backcountry campsites near the peak are located in the Hell Hole Lake area to the north, and the Kermsuh Lake basin to the south.

    Mountain Conditions

    Links to local weather, road conditions, and fire information can be found on the Wasatch-Cache National Forest website.


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.