Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48500°N / 105.646°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13560 ft / 4133 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Hagues Peak is the highest peak in the Mummy Range, the highest peak in Larimer County, and is the fourth highest peak in Rocky Mountain National Park. The summit of Hagues Peak is made of blocky chunks of very solid rock that make for extremely enjoyable scrambling. Routes to the top can be kept at class 2, but fun class-3 and even a little class-4 scrambling can be found on the southern slopes of Hagues Peak. Hagues Peak is relatively far away from any trailheads with the closest being Chapin Pass Trailhead at 6.25 miles/2,450 net vertical feet away, and Lawn Lake Trailhead at 9 miles/5,000 net vertical feet away. Hagues Peak was named after brothers James and Arnold Hague - a surveyor/geology team from Boston that visited the area in the late 1870's.

Route Overview

Most climbers will ascend from the saddle between Fairchild Mountain and Hagues Peak (dubbed "The Saddle") or the saddle between Mummy Mountain and Hagues Peak. From "The Saddle", ascent options range from class-2 to class-4. Basically, the closer you stay to the ridge crest, the more challenging the scrambling. From the Mummy-Hagues saddle it's a straightforward class-2 scramble (see Mummy Mountain page for more info).

In the little map at left the yellow line shows the class-3+ route from "The Saddle", the blue line shows the class-2 route from "The Saddle", and the red line shows the class-2 route from the Mummy-Hagues saddle.

 

Mummy Mania!

Mummy Mania is a hike proposed by Gerry Roach, renowned Colorado mountain guidebook author. This hike involves a car shuttle and starts at Chapin Pass Trailhead and ends at Lawn Lake Trailhead. In between you hike over Mount Chapin, Mount Chiquita, Ypsilon Mountain, Fairchild Mountain, Hagues Peak, and Mummy Mountain. If you're really hardcore you can also nab Rowe Peak and Rowe Mountain. Without the addition of Rowe Peak and Rowe Mountain the hike involves 16 miles and 6000' of vertical gain. Although it's a very tough day, it's a great way to climb the tall peaks of the Mummy Range. Here are a couple of links to Mummy Mania trip reports:


mummy mania

Getting There


Lawn Lake Trailhead: Enter the National Park through the Fall River Entrance, Hwy 34. About 2 miles into the park, take a right where the signs point you to Old Fall River Road. Once on this road, you will take your first right, where signs clearly point you to the Lawn Lake Trailhead.

Chapin Pass Trailhead: Go the Lawn Lake Trailhead but instead of pulling over to park continue up Fall River Road for about 9 miles. The trailhead is marked by a sign on the right side of the road. Parking is limited. Fall River Road and Trail Ridge Road are closed during winter and can close at any time of year due to bad weather.

Red Tape

The only permit required is a pass to get into the RMNP. You can buy a week pass for $15, or an annual pass for $30. However, if you pass through the gates before they open you don’t have to pay.

Camping in RMNP is only allowed in designated campsites and requires a permit. There are many excellent campsites along the way to Lawn Lake. Call the Backcountry Office, 970-586-1242, for details on camping.

Fees for admission.

Basic Rules/Regulations

Camping

There are many excellent campsites on the way to Lawn Lake. Call the Backcountry Office at 970-586-1242 for specific details.

When To Climb/Mountain Conditions

The easiest time to climb Hagues Peak is summer. Chapin Pass Trailhead is inaccessible during the winter. For up-to-date conditions contact RMNP rangers at 970-586-1206. 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mummy RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
 
 
Front Range Highest 20Mountains & Rocks